Hepatitis C Community

Hep C delaying HIV test

On September 2, 2012 I had a tattoo.  I saw artist open new needle and ink.  Even so afterwards I got worried about HIV and Hep C.  I have had an HIV antibody test at 10 weeks, 3 months and 6 months ... All were negative.  A 10 week HCV test was negative but my 6 month HCV was reactive.  Subsequent HCV RNA PCR was negative and not detected.  
1. If I did get Hep C from tattoo could that affect my negative 6 month HIV test?
2. Do I have Hep C?
3.  Could the 6 month HCV antibody test be a false positive?

RIBA test is currently unavailable due to some recall.  I have no other risk factors (in a 20 year marriage with only sex partner I have ever had), no drug use.

Worried
"HCV RNA PCR was negative and not detected."

That is the gold standard of HCV testing and is conclusive.

Congrats you don't have HCV, no need to worry.

1. If I did get Hep C from tattoo could that affect my negative 6 month HIV test?---No

Have a great day
I am confused why one HCV test was no reactive at 10 weeks but the 6 month test was reactive.  Dr. is also saying I need to test again in 6 months?  Confused?
I dont think I would get a tattoo either, for this reason, but I am glad you are okay!
You have the antibodies because somewhere along the line your body fought of the HCV virus. Even if you don't have the virus you will still have the antibodies two completely different things.  I would test positive for antibodies but negative for the virus. Antibodies are detectable for years after clearing the virus.

The HCV test has nothing to do with an HIV test, the do not affect each other.

Congrats you are disease free!