Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

HepC positive after 48 weeks of Treatment

I did a full 48 weeks of 2b-pegintron combo therapy and 2 months after treatment I got sick and the virus is now elevated.  At the half way mark I was undetectable. Now I have to go in every month to keep track of my ALTs. The Doc says that there is no other treatment now that can help and all I can do right now is hope for a new treatment and try to stay healthy.  They seemed concerned at the virus count. I know there is no correlation between high count and liver damage but its same old ****. Tired all the time, headaches and the Lichen Planus is flaring up again.  At first I thought it was my body adjusting to being off treatment, at least hoping but I was wrong.

A couple of questions. Can the virus cross the blood/brain barrier? Can the treatment cross the barrier? Could this be the reason that others and me can
28 Responses
I believe they have determined that the virus does cross the blood brain barrier. I don't know if the tx does but I kind of doubt it. Someone will know. As to why the virus recurs there are differing opinions. Sorry about the recurrence. I've been there and I know it's a scary thing to deal with. Good luck and hang in there. Mike
What is the blood-brain barrier.  This terminology is new to me.
The capillaries (small blood vessels) are lined with endothelial cells. Generally these cells are spaced to allow molecules to pass between them. In the brain they are tightly spaced and prohibit many substances from passing. Recently hep c was discovered in the brain and in the cerebrospinal fluid. I don't think that interferon passes this barrier but I'm not sure. I know that Pegasys is a large molecule interferon and, as such, I don't think it passes. The discovery of the virus in the brain has prompted more research into the possibility of cognitive degeneration as a result of hep c. Another thing to wonder about and watch for and, in my case, probably imagine. I hope this helps and I hope my description is accurate. Mike
The blood brain barrier is a protective barrier that protects the brain from infections and other things.  Many drugs can not cross this barrier but some virus can.
Great...

(said very sarcastically)  ;)

Thanks for the information - I will add that to my list of things to research.

You are a great source of info for me - I appreciate you being here and sharing your knowledge.
Just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear this news.  As everyone, hoping and praying there is new tx down the road.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.