Hepatitis C Community

Hepatitis C pegasus treatment

I need info on treatment called pegasus for Hepatitis C.
Pegasys is a brand name for Peginterferon alfa-2a or Pegylated interferon alfa-2a which is an antiviral drug made by La Roche.  It is given by injection.  It is used in combination with another medication called Ribavirin (a pill), and a third medication, either Victrellis or Incivek, which are both pills, to treat Hepatitis C.
Let us know if you have further questions.
Advocate1955
Advocate has given you excellent advice, I am sure others will help out too.
They could help even more if you are able to share a little more about yourself.  i.e.
What geno type do you have?
What are you taking along with the Pegasus?
Though neither tx is easy, I found the Pegasus to be much easier on my body, mind than the Pegintron.
Have you had a biopsy to see how your liver is doing?

Best wishes
Dee
The Pegasus is given by itself still to treatment-naive patients.  Due to the intensity and major side effects of the Incivek, it has been advised to start with the interferon/ribavirin treatment.  Good luck.
"Due to the intensity and major side effects of the Incivek, it has been advised to start with the interferon/ribavirin treatment."

If Incivek has changed their treatment protocol as you claim could you please post the link to that info, because as far as I know incivek does not have a lead in period as does victrelis, when you start treatment with incivek you start all 3 drugs at the same time.

"The Pegasus is given by itself still to treatment-naive patients."  
----------------------------------------------
That statement is simply not true. If you are talking about Hepatitis C treatment, Pegasys is NOT given by itself for treatment naive patients. Pegasys is given in conjunction with Ribavirin for Genotype 2 and Genotype 3 patients. Pegasys is given in conjunction with Ribavirin and a Protease Inhibitor (either Incivek or Victrelis) for Genotype 1 patients.

"Due to the intensity and major side effects of the Incivek, it has been advised to start with the interferon/ribavirin treatment. "
------------------------------------------
Who advised that? Please post a link to the scientific document that you read that advises that.

The current standard of care for Genotype 1 is Interferon, Ribavirin, and a Protease Inhibitor (either Incivek or Victrellis).
Are you really running a support group and telling people this stuff?