Hepatitis C Community

Hepatitis C and ascitis

Does anyone know of having ascitis without chirhosis or serious liver damage? My ALT is 77 and AST is 99. I have pain in my right side through to the back and my stomache is all swollen up. Going for more tests Thursday.
ALT and AST don't show how much damage has happened to your liver. The elevated numbers just show the liver is being damaged

Why do you believe you have ascities? Ultrasound? Physical examination by a doctor?
Do you know whether or not you have cirrhosis? Have you had a liver biopsy? How long have you had hepatitis C? What kind of doctor are you seeing?

I hope you are at least seeing a gastroenterologist and if you do in fact have cirrhosis you should be seeing a Hepatologist
I found this information on this web site

Other factors that may contribute to ascites are salt and water retention. The circulating blood volume may be perceived low by the sensors in the kidneys as the formation of ascites may deplete some volume from the blood. This signals the kidneys to reabsorb more salt and water to compensate for the volume loss.

Some other causes of ascites related to increased pressure gradient are congestive heart failure and advanced kidney failure due to generalized retention of fluid in the body.

In rare cases, increased pressure in the portal system can be caused by internal or external obstruction of the portal vessel, resulting in portal hypertension without cirrhosis. Examples of this can be a mass (or tumor) pressing on the portal vessels from inside the abdominal cavity or blood clot formation in the portal vessel obstructing the normal flow and increasing the pressure in the vessel (for example, the Budd-Chiari syndrome).

Acites can also manifest as a result of cancers, called malignant ascites. These types of ascites are typically manifestations of advanced cancers of the organs in the abdominal cavity, such as, colon cancer, pancreatic cancer, stomach cancer, breast cancer, lymphoma, lung cancer, or ovarian cancer.

Pancreatic ascites can be seen in people with chronic (long standing) pancreatitis or inflammation of the pancreas. The most common cause of chronic pancreatitis is prolonged alcohol abuse. Pancreatic ascites can also be caused by acute pancreatitis as well as trauma to the pancreas.
Got cut off 1st paragraph is

What is Ascities?

Ascites is the accumulation of fluid (usually serous fluid which is a pale yellow and clear fluid) in the abdominal (peritoneal) cavity. The abdominal cavity is located below the chest cavity, separated from it by the diaphragm. Ascitic fluid can have many sources such as liver disease, cancers, congestive heart failure, or kidney failure.
And the web page you can read for more info about Ascities

http://www.medicinenet.com/ascites/article.htm

Good luck
Lynn