A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members
135456 tn?1301441224

Hepatitis Researcher, Pre-Dosing Ribavirin

I am starting treatment with Infergen in 2 weeks and am planning on pre-dosing riba(1,600 daily)    leading up to the start date.  Do you feel this may give me an edge or would it be better to just add the extra riba to the daily intake once I start the Infergen?
57 Responses
135456 tn?1301441224
I'm also currently taking a plant sterol/sterolin mixture and mushroom extract( active hexose correlated compound) both of which have clinical results proving they boosts t-cells ,NK cells, and interferon levels(th1 arm) and would like to know what your feelings were about me remaining on these substances throughout my upcoming treatment?
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The predosing of riba holds good theoretical merit, since the effective concentrations are not reached quickly with riba and also because "riba resistance" is not a likely quality that HCV could easily obtain.
have you or your doctor actually made some predictions for your odds of success
on this upcoming round?  i would really like to know what your doc thinks this number is.
not trying to sound negative but its my understanding
that overall odds drop with each successive failed round. especially a failed 72.
from what ive seen around here, retreating with soc is a tough business.
as much as i think you should wait, i do wish you the best and hope the aggressive
attack plan works.
Have you had previous experience with 1600 mg/day of ribavirin?

If not, you might start sooner and titer up more gradually to make sure that you can handle the dose.

Keep in mind that it can take 1-3 weeks for a change in ribavirin dose to be reflected in your hemoglobin.

Also, and again based on your previous treatment experience, consider Procrit (epo) coincidental with the riba pre-dosing for same reasons.

Remember, high doses only work if they don't drive you off the medicine, or possibly treatment altogether. 1600 isn't all that high, but it is above SOC.

At week 1 of treatment, I upped my dose from 1200 to 2000mg/day. (Weighed around 175 at the time).  I titered up over a five day period not understanding that ribavirin takes awhile to show its effect. Big mistake. I ended up in the ER and had to go off ribavirin completely for several days.

All the best luck with your new round of treatment. I do like the idea of pre-dosing ribavirin, just remember that higher doses of riba can often be like walking a razor's edge.

All the best,

-- Jim
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL

George
"plant sterol/sterolin mixture and mushroom extract( active hexose correlated compound) both of which have clinical results proving they boosts t-cells ,NK cells, and interferon levels(th1 arm)"

Those are unspecific stimulators of innate immunity.It is unclear if the increased intensity of this part of the HCV specific immune pathways is stimulating or exhausting to the overall efficacy.

The results of the well prepared cpg 10101 trials by Coley pharmaceuticals  (Coleypharma), using

(CPG 10101-
"Actilon")  that was  maximally stimulating the Th-1 response and internal IFN production)

were somewhat disappointing ( but not without some effect) and the trials have been stopped.  

That was quite a surprise because this was beyond doubt an effective  way to stimulate the TH1 pathway and the Nk and overall the innate immune response.
I plan on doing the same thing.  Are you going to pre-dose for 1 or 2 weeks?  Can anyone comment on how long to pre-dose?  Hasen't Roche done a study on this?  It seems that if it would work, they would have done a study and it would be posted somewhere.  Hey, getting the patient to purchase an extra 2 weeks or 4 weeks dose of Ribavarin would be more revenue for them.  Seems that the Pharma Companies are driving a lot by revenue, so it would make sense.
Anna
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.