Hepatitis C Community

Hepatitis

Have hep c---doc trying to convince me to take Pegintron/ribavirin  (interferon)
I know there is a lot of side effects.....My genotype is 1A....Liver in stage 1...
feel no down sides to the virus....6 months ago ALT was 54 now 109--AST was
71 now 103.....ALB from 3.8 to 4.4---As you can see it appears that all the signs
are going up.    Would like to do some other type treatment instead----Does anyone have any suggestions?
I am sorry to say that all treatments include inf and riba.  Sorry

Denise
There are new drugs coming out this coming year if all goes well, but they are in addition to interferon and ribavirin. Unfortunately there isn't anything else that kills the virus completely, and that is the only way to stop it.

Your liver doesn't seem to be very damaged yet, so you have time to wait for the new drugs that have much greater percent of success, and often a shorter treatment time.

Diane
Type 1A is the hardest type to treat, and if you are in stage 1 and the disease is not active, I would NOT do this treatment.  Also, the only way to tell how bad the liver is affected is with a biopsy, has he done this yet?  

I am going to a national Hep lab that has done more transplants in this country than anywhere else, and the doctors are top notch, and they said that the probability of the Hep C being "cured" with these drugs is really bad with genotype 1A, and even if it is erradicated, the chances of it coming back are really high.  See a hepatitis doc instead of a gastro.  Oh, I also have the 1A.
I didn't know there were new drugs coming out!  That's some good news.  One thing that I was told also is that since I have depression and live alone, they would NOT treat me as it will make depression worse.  Probably from being so sick!!
Hi there why wouldn't want to go with a treatment that is probably going to extend your life.  I notice you're 62, I am 52 I am almost about to have my 12 month post Tx blood test after SVR at 6 months , believe me I'd go with the current Tx buddy it works most of the time & its the best available now! No it wasn't easy but I'd do it again for the same result SVR ... Hope you consider your options & say to hell with it "I Must Do It"
I personally won't do treatment because mine has been a 1 for 30 years!  It isn't doing anything.  Besides, they don't want to treat me because of this depression thing.  That's not to say that everyone should follow what I do, I was just told that the chances of genotype 1A being erradicated are next to nil.  Good for you that it worked!