Hepatitis C Community

High Ammonia Levels

My husband was diagnosed with Hep-C in 2000.He tried 2 treatments of inteferon/ribiviron,unfortunatly was a non responder because he is allergic to ribaviron.He couldnt work anymore,and did keep in shape by exercise and swimming.He also goes for bloodwork and biopsies.He is a stage 2/grade 2 with some scarring.Recently I noticed personality changes in him-made him go to the doctor.He has high levels of ammonia,which they are treating with lactaluse.Of course it limits his going out,he spends most of the day sleeping or in the bathroom from the medicine.I worry so much.He was the sweetest man I know,now he is extremely depressed,moody,angry,etc.Are there any other treatments on the horizen for Hep C and high ammonia?This is effecting our marriage,because its hard to live with his temper,as much as I try to understand.I have chronic headaches,and I guess we are both a mess.I went thru a bad year of health issues also,& I dont know where to turn anymore
I am in end stage liver disease and take Lactulose daily.  Has your husbands physician put him on a meatless diet?  Low sodium, low protein>  I take a shake caled Hepatic Aid.  It is by Rx only and expensive but it gives me the nutrients necessary.  I am SVR 4 years but my liver continued to try and heal itself -went overboard, I guess and caused fibrosis and cirrhosis.  Went from F1 to F4 for fibrosis,
cirrhosis, bridging fibrosis. Ducts are occluding and so on. ineligible for transplant because of heart and lung issues.  Meat sends me to a coma almost instantly.  Hope this helps.