Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

High Ammonia Levels

My husband was diagnosed with Hep-C in 2000.He tried 2 treatments of inteferon/ribiviron,unfortunatly was a non responder because he is allergic to ribaviron.He couldnt work anymore,and did keep in shape by exercise and swimming.He also goes for bloodwork and biopsies.He is a stage 2/grade 2 with some scarring.Recently I noticed personality changes in him-made him go to the doctor.He has high levels of ammonia,which they are treating with lactaluse.Of course it limits his going out,he spends most of the day sleeping or in the bathroom from the medicine.I worry so much.He was the sweetest man I know,now he is extremely depressed,moody,angry,etc.Are there any other treatments on the horizen for Hep C and high ammonia?This is effecting our marriage,because its hard to live with his temper,as much as I try to understand.I have chronic headaches,and I guess we are both a mess.I went thru a bad year of health issues also,& I dont know where to turn anymore
1 Responses
I am in end stage liver disease and take Lactulose daily.  Has your husbands physician put him on a meatless diet?  Low sodium, low protein>  I take a shake caled Hepatic Aid.  It is by Rx only and expensive but it gives me the nutrients necessary.  I am SVR 4 years but my liver continued to try and heal itself -went overboard, I guess and caused fibrosis and cirrhosis.  Went from F1 to F4 for fibrosis,
cirrhosis, bridging fibrosis. Ducts are occluding and so on. ineligible for transplant because of heart and lung issues.  Meat sends me to a coma almost instantly.  Hope this helps.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.