A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members
1184842 tn?1264268787

High Ammonia Levels

I've had HepC for many years now. I just recently found out about my high levels. The doctor wanted me to take lactulose, but to be honest I can't stand the taste of it. I've had to take so many meds in my lifetime that it's very hard for me to take any medicines. Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice?
11 Responses
163305 tn?1333672171
Yes, take the lactulose! I'm sorry but I stopped taking it and landed up in the ER, completely delirious. I could have died. I only have small snippets of memory from that episode.
You also should have a low protein diet, no red meat, just chicken, fish and tofu.

I didn't like the taste of lactulose either but you can drink lots of water or juice immediately after.
A good doctor told me how to regulate it.  
You want 2-3 soft stools daily. If you have more, use less.

Good luck
OH
233616 tn?1312790796
the brain damage caused by high ammonia levels not to mention accelerated liver damage are not what you want either right?

I think the better part of valor is to tolerate the taste so that you can keep your wits about you...unless dymentia, brain fog and liver failure sound good to you.
mb
I used it as a prebiotic. The first script was unflavored and a teaspoon hid very well in a cup of coffee, the next was flavored with some citrus something YUK!
1180136 tn?1264814491
Take the Lactulose - that is the least of things that you might not want to do.  I take it straight.  But mix it in a glass of juice if you want.   It doesn't matter how it gets into you!

Sonni
317787 tn?1473362051
Hi I am a little late to help however I thought better late than never.
I take the lactulose as a preventative.  I have researched what can happen if your ammonia gets to a level that affects your brain.  I did not know the other things and will research further.  Out of all the stuff I have taken in an attempt to kill this virus, two tablespoons a day is not much.  I would eat dirt if it would make me well.
I wish you luck
Dee
I take mine mixed with 8 ozs. of Orange Juice.  Covers the nasty flavor well.  Having had a bout of Hepatic Encephalopathy I can tell you the Lactulose is the better alternative.  Good luck.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.