Hepatitis C Community

High Ammonia Levels

My Ammonia levels are at high (61), yet after a birrage of tests and an MRI, my liver is fine, and the doctors are unsure as to what is causing the raised Blood Ammonia Levels.  

Question...There are some unusual circumstances in which someone can have an elevated ammonia and a normal liver.  What are they?  

Steve
My dad has advanced liver disease. He just got back his blood test that show his ammonia level has went from 157 to 300. How high can it go before he goes into a coma or worse?

Please help!

How high
I was diagnose with liver disease. I had blood test done, and my ammonia level went from 159 to 179. How high can it go before I start to worry.

Please Advice!

Thank you
cutiepie --- I don't know the answer to that - but if your doc read the levels, he's watching you. YOU WILL know --- or those around you will know if they do get too high.

This post is VERY old.. Please post your question in the main forum... Otherwise they might not get seen.

If the level goes up too much - you will be ordered to take lactulose.

Be careful on proteins, etc.

Meki
Eating foods high in sodium can cause elevated ammonia levels in the blood.
MY BROTHER IS DIEING RIGHT NOW, i AM JUST CURIOUS OF ALL THAT HE IS GOING THROUGH, HIS AMMONIA LEVEL IS OVER 300, IN A COMA, IS HE IN PAIN, WHAT, ITS SAD, THEY SAY HE ONLY HAS A FEW DAYS LEFT, WILL HE JUST DIE IN HIS SLEEP, I CAN'T HANDLE THIS, i DON'T WANT HIM TO BE IN ANY PAIN. i AM JUST LOOKING FOR INFO ON THE AMMONIA THING
Hi reel - You have posted on an old strain of comments.  To start your own, go to the top to the green "post a question."   I don't have experience with this but others who do will get back to you. Sorry for your troubles and hang in there.

Anne