Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

High Fat and Ribavirin...yes, again

Has anyone found any new info on the “high fat food taken with ribavirin” issue? All I keep finding are supposed "sources" that usually lead back to the same study, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1804105/ and they are repeating or "gleaning" the same inconclusive data from this one study.

Maybe someone knows of a newer study with a professional abstract that was approved for publication? This old one was approved, but it was not a study that researched high fat meals and ribavirin. It clearly states, " Interoccasion variability and food effects were included, but were not the "aim" of the study" and the results state, "Lean body weight was the only covariate with a clinically significant influence on ribavirin pharmacokinetics..."
Thanks
37 Responses
this is a link I got from hrsepwrguy
.http://www.spfiles.com/pipeg-intron.pdf

Effect of food on absorption of ribavirin:

Both AUC and C-MAX increased by seventy percent when Rebetol Capsules were administered with a high fat meal: (841 kcal, 53.8 g fat, 31.6 g protein, and 57.4 g carbohydrate) in a single-dose pharmacokinetic study

If you do the math you will have to eat 26.9 grams of fat with each dose for a 35% increase in absorbtion .

He felt like this was too much fat to take in. I am trying to eat that amount of fat, because I dont have any other health problems, and never gain weight, and havent, since taking my Riba with all that fat.
   But everybody is different, so, if a person has a heart problem, diavbetes, or is even prone to putting on weight, with a high fat diet, then this added fat wouldn't be a good idea.
  I think you will do fine with a nice healthy meal, home cooked makes me feel best : )
1747881 tn?1546179478
I have been achieving this amount of fat, from two tablespoons of peanut butter,(on a tortilla, heated) and two of the small containers of whole yogurt (7 grams each) But avocado also has a large amount of fat, and I have coffee with half and half.
  I havent gained weight yet~but it is not conventional, I am just going by some the research study. I did have an undetected viral load at week 4 though
RE: http://www.spfiles.com/pipeg-intron.pdf and Reading the whole thread at
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/hepatitis-c-genotip-3-solution/show/1709605

Wow, that was a lot of assigned reading to do, and I did not find anything that remotely answered my question, LOL.

163305 tn?1333672171
I recall when I did tx the first time, and more people were doing SOC, there was more talk about fat helping riba get absorbed by the body.

What I did was simply increase my fat content. I switched from non-fat yogurt to low fat ( I can't stomach whole yogurt).
I put butter on my bread, ate cheese, which I usually avoid, etc.
Just up your fat intake and don't sweat it.
Since riba stays in the system a long time, I don't think when you eat the fat is that relevant.

Hehheh...Are you having any nausea, or other troubling side-effects? I just notice, when I start to feel sick, that it's usually when my stomach is empty, and I pamper myself, with a healthy meal, and a nice cup of coffee, and soon, I feel back to my normal self.
    I read that you were picked for the SOC group, of the study. Only Incivek requires the high fat meal. If you were required to eat all that fat, your Doctor would let you know, for sure. Good luck, and Bon Appetite!

Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.