Hepatitis C Community

High Liver enzymes

My husband had a blood test done a few months ago....and had a liver enzyme that was high.  He had a second test a few weeks later...it was normal.  He had another this past week and the doctor called to tell him that he had several high enzymes and that he needs to schedule a test for a sonogram for his liver, pancreas, and gall bladder.

The first reaction was, oh no...he has hepatitis.  Though we don't know how he would have gotten it.  I was schedule for a yearly exam, so I asked to have blood work done...for peace of mine really, and all my tests were normal.  

Could he have hepatitis and not have given it to me?  Wouldn't I have tested positive too?

I realize it's probably early to be worrying and we'll find some answers out next week....but I just can't help the worrying!  

Any input would be very helpful.
Thank you!
Ask your doctor if your husband was tested for hepatitis A, B and C.

If not, insist he be tested now. Hepatitis C is not normally spread through personal or sexual contact. So no, you wouldn't necessarily have it even if your husband does.

But first things first, do the tests. The sonogram's a good idea too. And while they're at it, ask for an AFP (alpha-fetoprotein) blood test.

Chances are everything will be OK, but certain tests should be done.

-- Jim
many things raise the levels, not just hepatitis. was he tested for hepatitis? Routine check ups do not include tests for hep, you have to request them. If someone had blood products prior to 1991, used Iv drugs, had medical procedures, piercings, tattoos, maybe even manicures or shaves at a barber shop, anything that could have exposed them to blood, should be tested for hep b and c.
If someone had blood products prior to 1991, used Iv drugs, had medical procedures, piercings, tattoos, maybe even manicures or shaves at a barber shop, anything that could have exposed them to blood, should be tested for hep b and c.

........that sounds like just about anybody doesn't it?  It's a scary world that we live in....................

If you have insurance it sure can't hurt to have the tests just in case. I had a "just in case" test recently (as my xhusband was diagnosed with HCV years ago - even though we have been apart ten years and you DONT usually get it through personal ways) and mine came up positive.  But I had other ways that I could have received it myself.  

If I hadn't wanted to be "sure" I never would have known and would have died with it by the time it was discovered.

Better safe than sorry.

They didn't actually test him for hep but they ask him all the questions....have you done this...did you do this...

Wouldn't that be something they'd go ahead and test for since he's had the higher enzyme level before?

Unfortunately, your average doctor is not well-versed in hepatitis. Of course, if you went to a liver specialist, they would have done those tests.

Just ask to be tested for hepatitis a, b and c. If your doctor won't, see a liver specialist. Just remember, it's not your doctor's liver we're talking about, it's your husbands.

-- Jim
I'm wondering if your doctor did a blood sugar test on your husband.  If so and it was high, high liver enzymes can also be caused by type 2 diabetes.  Good luck to you both!
Smiles, Sue