Hepatitis C Community

How can i get Olysio and Solvaldi

Has anyone been denied these medications I was told the meds are NOT FDA APPROVED  by my insurance
Your insurance company had their facts wrong.  Both of these drugs are FDA approved and have been for about the past 10 mon.  However, they weren't approved to be taken together.  The doctor can write a prescription for them off label separately, like one script for the Sovaldi and one script for the Olyssio.  Often times, the insurance company will balk at the cost, but usually, you can appeal it or get some extra assistance from the drug company Gilead.  I wish the best of luck.  Susan400
Hi Chuck
Welcome to the community. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone here who treated with Sovaldi Olysio did not have some trouble working with their insurance companies. There is a questionnaire I have heard that ment had to have their doctors fill out about their medical condition I guess my doctor did too but for me it was all behind the scenes I call my drug insurance provider and bugged a few people some faxes were exchanged and voila I had the meds.

My advise would be not to give up and find out more about the denial. Yes both drugs are FDA approved since Nov 13 and Dec 13. To use them "off label" is the issue.

Also I don't know if you are aware there is a new single pill combo of Sovaldi and ledipasvir soon to be FDA approved October 10th but then it has to get in the prescription drug formulary of your prescription drug insurance which will be a month or two more to wait after. Are you seeing a hepatologist or at least a gastroenterologist familiar with treating hep c patients? They are best equipped to help sort out the insurance maze.

Here is a link to Sovaldi support path they will try to help

http://www.sovaldi.com/starting-treatment/support/

And for Olysio support

http://www.olysio.com/hcp/patient-support?sitelink=Patient%20Support%20Resources&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Experience&utm_term=olysio%20support&utm_content=Olysio+Support-+Exact|mkwid|sHLf3EIfk_dm|pcrid|36515666777

Good luck
Lynn
I was just approved for Sovaldi and Olysio and start taking the drugs tomorrow. I have Original Medicare and Express Scripts for my drug plan and only had to do one appeal. It took me about two months.

Considering that the new Gilead drug will be available in another couple of weeks you may want to go for it instead of the Sovaldi and Olysio. Like Lynn said though it will take a month or two for the insurance to add the drugs to their plans.

Peace.