Hepatitis C Community

How much water should combo patients be drinking per day?

Hi, I'm going to be starting combo treatment in less than two weeks and have a question. I've been researching and communicating with people who are in treatment, or who have already been through it (sometimes multiple times). I've heard over and over again that you should drink a LOT of water every day. Most combo vest have told me to drink at least a gallon a day, as it will really do a lot to lessen your sides. They even seem to say it ike this: "Getting ready for treatment? Better learn how to drink a lot of water REAL soon." And say it in a way like "Ohhhh you'll be sorry if you don't...you'll learn alright!" I also asked my RN about this and she confirmed that you should drink a lot of water and that it does significantly lessen sides. But, of course I've never been through this, so what do I know? Not much, so I'm hoping those with actual, extensive experience can tell me once and for all if this is a wive's tale, or it really is a good idea. Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
Half your body weight in ounces is an often used formula. If you weigh 200 lbs, you drink 100 ounces of water. Some say drink a gallon but many find that hard to get down and in fact it may over -hydrate you which may not be good. I rarely got half my weight in ounces down the shoot due to gastro problems. Others have reported similar. Hopefully you will find the formula that works best for you.
Drink lots of water, that is what I have always heard. I started before tx to get used to it, as I wasn't used to drinking a lot of water. Now I drink it like crazy. I decided to drink ONLY water, so I wouldn't be tempted to drink Coke or something. I don't measure the amount, but I go through several cases of bottled water a week. I keep in a frig in my room and it goes fast!

We tend to be much drier in the mouth, at least I am, so it is very easy to drink lots of water I find.

I have heard there is an amt. you should drink, but as I said, I just drink it. I know some have said that you shouldn't drink too much, but I have only read that from a few people and haven't read much about it.

It must help with sx's, as it gets those toxins out of your body. When I am feeling bad from sx, water does seem to help me feel better at times.
I've only been on treatment for two weeks and have had no terrible side effects.  I haven't succeeded in drinking the amount recommended (half your weight in ounces), but I drink much more than I did before treatment.  I didn't start drinking extra water until treatment began.

I have to believe that the good fluids you drink, other than water, also count towards the water quota.  For example, I had a large glass of milk with breakfast, a large glass of vegetable juice with lunch, and I'll have a large glass of weak iced tea with dinner (yeah-yeah....I know caffeine's not good for you, but I'm still drinking tea and coffee because I don't have SX's yet, and I'm stubbornly hanging on to my comfortable habits).

I wish you well with your treatment program!
They say some coffee and tea are good for you as long as you don't drink too much. I too still drink my morning coffee and various teas. There is even a new study out saying coffee is beneficial to your liver. I agree with you, those other liquids do count towards your intake along with the water. I ow veggie juie is very good for you and your liver too.
Most things I have read say water is not the same as other good drinks. I'm not sure why. I drink milk with meals and juice, but I can't seem to get enough water b/c my mouth is so dry.

What's wrong with coffee? There was an article a while back that said it helped people with their liver after drinking. I don't think that applies to us though.

We can't give up everything! Some coffee or tea is probably the least of your worries.
I have heard that too, that other liquids "don't count" so I the NP about it and she said other liquids should not be substituted for a good daily water intake but do count as liquid intake. So I guess lots of water AND other things too is fine. I agree with you, we can't give up everything! I love my morning coffee too much to part with it!
Sorry you are having all that bone pain, I hope you have some good pain meds and it eases up for you soon. Glad the heat has passed too. How are you doing with the fatigue/weakness? I really related to what you said about shopping in another post. That is exactly what happens to me and I just end up leaving so I can go lie down. Shopping used to be a popular activity around here! I guess I should be happy with the money I am saving by not shopping.
I will be up there the first of Sept. hope it is nice. My Hgb is down and I am sick of feeling so weak but just today my husband was cheering me on to go the whole 72 weeks so I am going to try to hang in there until March. Hope I can.
OK Kalio, I'm gonna give you my pep talk!!!  You can do the 72 weeks!  Just take it 1 week at a time.  You can do anything you put your mind too.  I know it
Thanks! I looked on the site. It looks pretty good and isn't expensive either.  I normally don't take supplements, but I will try anything to get off this Neulasta. At least I only take it every 2-3 weeks, but it's brutal when I do.

On vacation I took steriods from the cancer dr. They worked really well, but I can't stay on them, as they cut the interferon's effectiveness.

I will bend down and get my wallet to order some of this!

Thanks!
Thanks for your encouragement. You are so right, focusing on the positive is key. I like your idea of looking at it by "boxes" that will help the weeks go by faster. I try to look at how far I have come vs how far left to go but some days it is harder to do than others. Your husband is a lucky guy to have such a good supportive partner. My husband has been amazingly supportive, your husband and I are very lucky to have such supportive mates!
I am considering giving up these Neulasta shots unless I go down to 200-300. These shots are too much! The pain does go away after many days and so does the headache. Then I will be out there shopping again for sure! Actually my weakness/fatigue doesn't seem too bad. Of course I am laying down, so how would I know?  

Before we left on vacation, I wanted to buy some summer clothes. I have one pair of shorts that are 10 years old. I just couldn't do it. I took the shorts I had. Luckily, it is clothing optional! Last night I did my grocery shopping online and had it delivered. What a great way to go! While in the stores, I usually have to find something to sit on and take a break every so often, or I send John. Yep, I'm gonna buy me a diamond ring with all the money I have saved over the year!

How long are you going to be up here? Are you going to Napa?
I just did my first shot on thursday night, and if it wasn't for all the water I began drinking the week before (thanks to all the advice on this forum) I don't know what would have happened.
I found that the week before tx I just almost coudn't bear all the water, I felt..ewe, yuck. Well, I have found out that if I don't drink all that water, I get soooo ill. I have been told by my doc, and my nurse to drink half my whieght in oz. (or close to it) everyday. At first it was hard, but now I can't get enough of it, (since starting tx). I know from experience already that if I forget to drink that water, I get sick. I now thank the water, and it goes down great. Just can't get enough.
I am feeling better today finally, a little foggy headed and tired, but better.
I drank a lot of water. I found when I didn't I got terrible headaches. I got to the point where if I felt a headache coming on I could sometimes cut it off at the pass by increasing my water intake. I drank it at room temperature and found that really helped with quantity. I think it also helped with the very dry skin and rash/bumps that can be a side effect of the treatment--moisturizing from the inside out! A side benefit for me, was that by drinking all that water I didn't have an appetite or room for soda/juice/chilled coffee drinks and all the other 'empty' calories I used to consume and I lost weight on treatment which I needed to do. Now that I'm post treatment I'm trying to keep it up. Good luck. There is light at the end of the tunnel!