Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members
119874 tn?1189759429

How to calculate weight based Riba dose?

A couple of posts below, someone asked how to calculate weight based Riba.  A lot of recent posts state that it is important and most of us don't know how to figure out if we're on a high, low, or whatever level of Riba.

Can someone provide the formula (for pounds and for kilograms)?

JmJm once calculated mine.  Thanks.
39 Responses
See:

http://hepatitis-central.com/mt/archives/2004/12/weightbased_tre.html
92903 tn?1309908311
For weight based dosing, the typical ranges are between 13.3 and 15.5 or so mg per kg of body weight. Generally, I think you want to be over 15. Divide your weight in lbs by 2.2 to get kg.

165/2.2 = 75kg
75kg X 15.5 = 1,162.5 mg

or supposing you were taking 800 mg for 165 lbs:

165/2.2 = 75kg
800kg/75kg = 10.6 (quite a bit outside of our 13.3 - 15.5 range)
That is really scary as I am pretty fat at 216lbs. I am only taking 800 riba a day...should I speak to doc about that? How about 180 Pegasys? Im only 5'1" (round lil porker since my 30's..lol)and also, I have heard that fat folks don't respond to tx as well...IS THAT TRUE???? Freakin' out now again...mkeela
Yes that is true about weight hindering SVR a bit. And yes if I was you I would definatey talk to your doctor about that riba amount ask him what he is basing the dosage on?
very good post, this is also of interest to me as my doc wrote the rx for 800mg of riba and i weigh 200lbs. some have said this seems low for me? i should be starting tx soon but i think i need to ask the doc to up the riba before i start. he is the top hep doc at a university hosp so not sure what his intentions are. maybe he is doing something like what is written below from dr bennet cecil?  

"Ribavirin does not make the intererferon work, but it reduces the chance of relapse after treatment is completed. I start with 600 mg per day in most patients. Patients with genotype 2 or 3 will usually take 800 mg per day after the first month. Patients with other genotypes will usually gradually go up to 1,000 or 1,200 mg per day. If you raise the dose too quickly, the red blood cell count will fall too low causing anemia, fatigue and shortness of breath. If the patient is not responding I usually stop treatment. If you cure the infection, the liver will heal itself."

Im 3a and relapsed on 800 a day ( I weighed 185 at the time, Im just shy of 6 foot), so did FLGuy I believe. No way would I let him keep me at 800 riba a day THIS round! First time I was tx naive so I folowed instruction ike a good patient and the Tx failed.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.