Hepatitis C Community

I have a QUANDARY...plz advise if you can

I am in a quandary and I need some good advice from all  you expert people. :)
I have had a fever now for 13 days, ranging from 100 to 102. I wake up in the morning w/o fever but like clockwork, come 10:30, 11:00, I start feeling the same old fever stirrings.  Usally starts with a few chills.
I went to the Dr on Monday ( not my gastro) and he swears I have the Flu because of my other symptoms as well.  I have had a real dry cough, but that. at least HAS gotten better, overall.  I have fatigue, mild headaches, no appetite and mild body aches at times. He took a flu swab of my nose and it came back negative.  He checked for pneumonia and it came back negative.  He still thinks it is the Flu, and he is aware of my hep C and what interferon can do to  you, which is his explanation on why this is not definitive. So, I have been on antibotics for one week ( prescribed originally from my Gastro) and he put me on TamiFlu, just because he said it can't hurt. ( I wasn't real craxy about that, expecially when my copay was $70. :(

My quandary is this.....he wanted to see me again in 2 days.  Today is day 3 and fever is back to 101. The only thing I can tell him is that the cough is a little better.  We just lost our health insurance on Jan 31st so everything will be self pay and my husband has not been working now for 4 months. It's not very pretty here now, financially.
Am I going to waste my time and money to go back to him as he "guesses"  his way through this?   Obviously if something is really wrong, I want to know about it. ON the other hand, this could be side effects, even though I have never  had this type of SX before.  I just finished pills on Tues and  my last shot was on Jan 18.

Anyone have this experience with a constant fever and just rode it out or eventually figured out what was going on?

Thanks, Dear Forum friends.....
Hugs..Debbie
Deb I dont think you need to take tamiflu if you are on ribavirin both are antivirals.  I 'think' that getting the flu while on treatment is pretty difficult because you are on the antiv.  And obviouisly, even the flu - the real dread nasty flu usually last about a week or so (I cant stand when people come in to work after 2 days and say they had the flu...uh just no)...so yours seems to my way of thinking to be lasting too long.

did you at least talk to the GI?

I wish I had an answer for you but that is my best guess scenario (which isn't all that great as it is but I wanted to try and help you somehow.....even if just in words and in thought).

I just dont understand why you would get this after finishing tx and not before...I'd call the GI and ask it can't hurt?

Deb
It took me a couple of months for my symptoms from treatment to go away the last time 6yrs ago. Try not to take too many meds for side affects as it can affect the final out come. I relapsed after 6 months. Drink lots of water, and start with a slow excersises till your energy comes back, the cough can hang around for a while, Your fever is not high enough to really worry about, 103 104 or higher would be more of a concern long term. Remember that fever is a good thing its your body killing the virus. I felt fabulous after about 3 or 4 months, thats just me, I was sure I beat it last time. Guess not, as I started the new treatment 3 weeks ago. I'll beat it this time for sure.
Hang in there Debbie your almost done!!

Jane
I am very sorry to hear you are not feeling well and also sorry that you have lost your insurance. That complicates things.

My opinion is that running a fever for 13 days is not normal. 99F would not concern me too much, but 102F does. I think you need to follow-up on it.

I think it would be wise to call your MD and let him/her know how you are doing medically. I also think you need to let him know about your financial predicament as well as the fact that you have no health insurance. Let him/her know that money is a big concern. At that time you can also talk with him about return visits and follow-up.

I don't really have any answers except that I would not just let this go by and risk a serious illness. I would follow-up on it.
@ NY Girl...I never even thought of that, about the Riba being an antiviral.  Brain fog I guess.  Great point!!  The Dr did say that not all flu's will knock you out.  It really depends on what is circulating in any given year cuz I asked him the same thing.
I originally called my Gastro Dr last week, first, and she is the one that put me on antibiotics.  A few days later I txt her that I suspected that I had mild pneumonia ( really thought thats what it was ).  She told me to do to the Dr and  have them treat me from there, so that is what I did.  I never got back to her about it.  She never told me to.
So, you wouldn't go back to the Dr who said I had the flu?  From what you just said, it might not make any sense.  Hmmmm

I started with all this before I stopped treatment, almost 2 weeks before.  
Could just be lingering?

Yes, I will contact my Gastro and let her know what the other Dr did/said. (sorry, I'm rambling)

@ grandma....The thing is that I never had these symptoms at all,  until the last 2 weeks.  I only want to get to the cause of this fever.  If it's SX, then fine.  I can live with that.  
Thanks for your input!
In my mind.... I AM DONE.  Just have to wait 6 months now to make it official. Yippee!
What were your last white cell counts and did they check for any type of bacterial infection besides pneumonia?
I'm with your doctor - the flu.
13 days is a long time but not that uncommon with the flu.
I doubt the doctor can help you much at this stage. You just have to ride it out and my guess is it won't be more than a couple of days.
Just my opinion which isn't worth much - if anything.

Good luck,
Mike