A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members
2084103 tn?1332361453

Incivek week 4 <43 (detected or not?)

I started my triple therapy with Incivek on 7/10/11  My week 4 and week 8  VL from Quest Lab was reported as <43 IU/mL (with no mention of detection or not)

But my week 12 and week 24 VL from Quest Lab was reported as <43 IU/mL (HCV RNA Not Detected)

I have since done a VL from Quest Lab 7 weeks post treatment and it was reported as <43 IU/mL (HCV RNA Not Detected)

My question is, why did Quest not report a Detected or Not Detected on my first 2 labs (Week 4 & 8) ?

My Doc had told me at that time that I was UND. So I only did 24 weeks total. But I just recently got the hard copies of my lab work (4 weeks after I stopped treatment)

Is there a chance that I was NOT UND at week 4? And if so, why would a doc report that as UND?
Any one know what your chances of SRV are if you only do 24 weeks total, but were DET at week 4?

Thanks!
37 Responses
1747881 tn?1546179478
"<43 IU/mL (HCV RNA Not Detected)"

Means you are UND, congrats on the great news.

have since done a VL from Quest Lab 7 weeks post treatment and it was reported as <43 IU/mL (HCV RNA Not Detected)
---------------------------------------------
That is the important part of your post..as it pertains to you

Being UND..at Wk.4 post tx. is 96% definitive of SVR  and Wk.12 is 99.7%

.http://www.ihlpress.com/pdf%20files/hepdart09_presentations/oral_ii/12_martinotHEPDART%20PC.pdf

As far as your doctor giving you erroneous info.,  unfortunately this is happening all too often,as many doctors are not familiar with the lab reports as it pertains to being Det or not.. this is shameful and somewhat dangerous. Always best to ask for hard copies and have a thourogh discussion with the doctor on the results.

So looks like you are in good shape ..congrats!
Will
We had the same thing week 4 <43  on Quest labs.  Our doctor (hepatologist at teaching hospital, worked with Vertex directly) called that UND.  However, week 8 and 12 it said <43 not detected.  I asked him specifically about this, and he reaffirmed that it was UND, and that we would treat for 24 weeks. I choose to believe him.
Hmmm.  Our doctor shared husband's labs with Vertex (they were considering doing only 12 weeks of tx) and they also considered it UND.  Not sure why.
Hi  stormy.. The way I understand Quests lab reports that if it is <43IU/ML  and does not say UND. then it is considered DET.  as I know if it is UND. it will say that.

There still seems to be some confusion on this.  The lab can give proper direction to the ordering doctor on these if he makes a follow up call for clarity and hopfully that is what happened in your hubbys situation.

Best to you and hubby..
Will
the important part of the viral load at 4 weeks is to be less than 1,000.  If you are not, then they discontinue treatment as it leads to building an immunity.  You were less than 1,000 so treatment conintued.  They test again at 6 months post treatment and if still undetectible than congrats !!
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.