Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Insomnia

Has anyone had difficulty sleeping? I am 16 weeks into tx and I find myself still awake at 4 am. I have ambien but I do hate to take it . I take it about 3x a week. Could I be having insomnia because of the Ambien. I already take 50 mg of benadryl every night before bed because of the rash which by the way doesn't help when you are trying to fall asleep. Anyone have a magic potion? I feel tired all day because I force myself to get up by 9am no matter what time i go to sleep.
18 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
try cerave lotion & cleanser to help with your rash.  my dermatologist recommended it & worked for me.  helps itch & rash but not go away till end of treatment.  available without script @ riteaid--about $12 each.  hang in there---it doesn't last forever!  i also took an xst tylenol & 25mg benadryl 1 hr before shot each week--on my md recommendation.  kudos132
Helpful - 0
Thanks. I have a script for Ambien but didn"t want to take it.  Is the gold bond in cream form? Yes, I have scars up and down my legs. I hate this ****. As far as the chamomile tea it did not help in the least. I guess tonite I will start taking my ambien.
Helpful - 0
179856 tn?1333547362
I still take the Ambien best medication in the world, I wish I had known about it years ago it's so nice to fall asleep and not keep looking at the clock wishing for sleep.

For the rash try GoldBond it has helped a lot of us, use it more than just once a day though and if the rash starts to abate don't stop or it will come right on back. My rash was so bad before I found out about the Gold Bond that I had to bandage myself up in spots where anything rubbed on my skin and still today years later I still have scars
Helpful - 0
419309 tn?1326503291
My husband dealt with the insomnia, but the rash was terrible, so his docs prescribed Atarax.  Ended up it not only did wonders not only for the rash, but had the additional side benefit of making him sleep much better.  Hope the chamomile helps.  Good luck,
~eureka
Helpful - 0
Thanks for all your advice.  I am going to try chamomile tea tonight.
Helpful - 0
476246 tn?1418870914
I did not have insomnia during tx ( I actually slept most of the time around 12 hours per day, sometimes less and other times up to 16 hrs), but my sleeping hours were totally messed up. I slept late and woke up late. I just listened to my body. Often I slept until the afternoon. I set my alarm for the meds though and took them like clock work.

IF you do not work or have any other commitments, why don't you just wake up naturally. Listen to your body. Also getting enough sleep should also help with the itching.

I didn't care, sometimes I would not see the light for days... lol... I used to call myself a vampire.

I hope you will be able to find a way to get enough sleep.

All the best, marcia
Helpful - 0
254544 tn?1310775732
Ambien be my best friend.  .  If ya need it take, don't stress yourself out and make things worse by not getting enough sleep.

Mouse
Helpful - 0
547836 tn?1302832832
chamomile tea, banana, warm milk, turkey sandwich (mm...)  or benadryl would all help if you try to eat some before bed, don't be stressed
Helpful - 0
96938 tn?1189799858
Riba can interefere with sleep.  If you take it in evening consider taking it early, 5 or 6 pm.  If you take an uneven number of riba each day, take the fewer number (3 in am 2 in pm, for example) in the pm.  as Bill suggests, exercise or at least some level of activity on the ol bones is a good idea.
Helpful - 0
Hi I read your post the other day about your liver enzymes and possibly stopping your tx. What have you done since then? I have been thinking about you and hoping for the best.
Helpful - 0
717272 tn?1277590780
I read some basic medical guidelines published by some liver association before I started treatment and they said you could take up to 200 mg of benadryl.  I do that.  Have taken 50 for years and the 200 is working on treatment.  On days when I've done something dumb, like eat chocolate or drink soda too close to night, if I'm not asleep after trying a few hours, I get up and take the ambien.  I'm with you; the side effects and dependency freak me out a little and I try to only take it once a week.
Helpful - 0
881890 tn?1286553760
Absolutely! I haven't started treating yet but have treated in the past.  I frequently have difficulty sleeping, that's related to liver disease and also one of the sx to tx.  My days become nights and nights become days. I have taken Melatonin in the past, 3mg. It's natural and you can get it at Walmart, and most dx stores.
Helpful - 0
Atarax helps wwitht eh itiching and sleeping
Helpful - 0
I have been drinking a cup of chamille tea before i hit the sack and it works for me...now i have pleasant dreams....last nite i was on vaction in England
Helpful - 0
475300 tn?1312423126
Oh yea, I had trouble sleeping and like Epi lack of sleep made me feel worse than I already felt.  Good luck, I didn't find anything that worked for me.

Denise
Helpful - 0
I had a lot of trouble sleeping on tx.  Try to be active as much as you are able.  I took the occasional ativan, 1mg at bedtime worked well for me.  Mostly I just learned to roll with it.  I spent a lot of time online late at night.  I felt tired pretty much on tx, regardless of how much sleep I got.  

Can you adjust your schedule to sleep in a bit?  Its a shame to have to make yourself get up when you've finally managed to fall asleep.

Good luck,
jd
Helpful - 0
577132 tn?1314266526
I also had insomnia during treatment and started using Temazepam to help with that but it stopped working fairly quickly on and I now realize that part of my insomnia was actually caused by the low grade withdrawals from the Temazepam.  Consequently I am now have to follow a slow taper system to stop the withdrawal symptoms from the sleepers.

I have heard of others here who used Zoplicone with less addictive effect, and on my first treatment I used an antihistamine.  However antihistamines and benzos are not a good combo so it's probably not a good idea to mix those two as that would be contributing to the feeling of tiredness through out the day.

Perhaps you could look into more natural remedies, perhaps see a naturopath.  You could also look into foods that contain naturally occurring 5http and tryptophan. Chamomile tea and warm milk are supposed to be good also.  Exercise will help, hb levels willing, and trying to take your Riba late afternoon/early evening could also help.  And maybe cutting own on caffeine products.

It really is a hard one as lack of sleep increases the side effects significantly, I wish I could offer you a magic formula and I wish you the best in finding a solution.

Epi.
Helpful - 0
87972 tn?1322661239
I believe that exercise can help quite a bit with insomnia, but it’s understandable when someone doesn’t feel up to it on treatment. Even if you can make yourself take a couple of small walks a day might help; if nothing else, it’ll get you out into the fresh air. I’ve heard that ribavirin can keep people awake, but that wasn’t my problem with treatment… I slept all the time :o).

Maybe someone else will chime I with some ideas… at least you’re making yourself get up in the morning, which *should* help.

Best of luck—

Bill
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community

Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473358451
DC
683231 tn?1467323017
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?