A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members
315996 tn?1429057829

Interesting Treatment Denial

Friend who works in the state's HCV told me about a clinic who had someone with the Oregon Health Plan and they denied him treatment because he was a cigarette smoker. I think it was Harvoni. Pretty heavy duty. I guess the line has to be drawn somewhere. Glad I don't smoke or have to quit.
9 Responses
317787 tn?1473362051
WOW!!! I am surprised, I think they are looking for reasons not to pay.  
I am amazed at the hoops people have to jump through
Thanks for sharing :)
Congratulations for getting new meds! I am really happy for you
That's absurd!  Our country has a backwoods mentality.
.....Kim
I live in Oregon and have cirrhosis and three separate doctors refused to write scripts for me by saying my insurance would not pay. A NP finally helped me and insurance did pay. I have Medicare with Oregon Health Plan as secondary. The Health Authority here does not want anyone on OHP/Medicaid to treat even if they do have cirrhosis. The mystery for me is why the doctors go along with it. Sometimes I feel like a broken record telling my story but I feel strongly that people need to take a stand on this.

Actually, someone needs to use the doctors who deny care.
Oh yeah, no, a line does not need to be drawn somewhere. Everyone with HCV should be able to treat. What the check does smoking have to do with Hep C treatment anyway?
13674534 tn?1430998182
what in the world is going on here, I live in Alaska,smoker, including weed, (fho I had to stop that for treatment), ; ( ing like a baby, helps for pain and other things, a lot of things
on SSI disability and, some state help, and my copay was $3.36 for a 12 week plan,
BTW last pill last night,
I'm just mad and venting, not mad at the world, just the propel in it, ie; big business gov.and so on............
I'm so sorry for you, why can't they fix you, and propel, that are productive instead an old goat like me, hell I've had it for 33 yrs, GRRRRR! GRRRR! GRRRRR!
my payers are for you  and beat wishes
............walkingeagle  
I also live in AK.  I would like to know how you received tx at such a low co-pay.   I am to see my gastro MD in two days to discuss test results and treatment. I am really worried that my insurance will deny me.  I am employed, no SSi, no disability - just employer group insurance.  Are you native?   I have been told that ANMC has been very supportive with HCV treatment.  Anyway, good for you for getting treatment.  My prayers are for you to have a continued and complete recovery.
315996 tn?1429057829
This thread has gone all over the place
We don't have the whole story here. I'm going to leave it at that.
315996 tn?1429057829
true
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.