Hepatitis C Community

Interferon cause Pancreatitis?

I have had 2 bouts of acute pancreatitis. I underwent 11 months of interferon back in 1997 for hep C. Could this be causing the pancreas problems. I have been Hep c free RNA neg after treatment.
IFN rarely causes Pancreatitis during tx (7 out of 1706 patients in this study) All patients' pancreatitis resolved after stopping tx.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15309891

There are over a dozen much more common things that might cause it.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pancreatitis/ds00371/dsection=causes

"Pancreatitis occurs when digestive enzymes produced in your pancreas become activated while inside the pancreas, causing damage to the organ.

During normal digestion, the inactivated pancreatic enzymes move through ducts in your pancreas and travel to the small intestine, where the enzymes become activated and help with digestion. In pancreatitis, the enzymes become activated while still in the pancreas. This causes the enzymes to irritate the cells of your pancreas, causing inflammation and the signs and symptoms associated with pancreatitis.

With repeated bouts of acute pancreatitis, damage to the pancreas can occur and lead to chronic pancreatitis. Scar tissue may form in the pancreas, causing loss of function. A poorly functioning pancreas can cause digestion problems and diabetes.

Pancreatitis has many causes
A number of causes have been identified for acute pancreatitis and chronic pancreatitis, including:

Alcoholism
Gallstones
Abdominal surgery
Certain medications
Cigarette smoking
Cystic fibrosis
Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), when used to treat gallstones
Family history of pancreatitis
High calcium levels in the blood (hypercalcemia)
High levels of parathyroid hormone in the blood (hyperparathyroidism)
High triglyceride levels in the blood (hypertriglyceridemia)
Infection
Injury to the abdomen
Pancreatic cancer"

For me it was gallstones.

Get yourself a good Gastro Doc and hopefully you can get it figured out.
Thanks for the reply. Sober 25 years, no family history took out gallbladder last hospitilzation ( had small amount of sand). Thought INF could have been the culprit.
Old news<it can also make you suseptible to lymphoma's,Heart Attack,.stroke.google it it goes on and on.