Hepatitis C Community

Interferon treatment

Has anyone had the interferon treatment and NOT needed the mood elevators????  Are the mood elevators absolutely necessary? I Hate the way they make me feel!!!!
I'm 42 weeks in and haven't been taking anti-depressants and have been doing fine. During the first twelve weeks I did get tearful and tender at times, but that doesn't really bother me much, and it did pass. I don't believe I've been any crankier than before, and not as quick to anger either--although when I do get angry I can get pretty angry. Then again, I always could so it's hard to tell.

I also haven't suffered from insomnia so maybe it's helped that I'm getting at least a full eight hours of sleep a night.
No, not everyone on interferon and ribavirin takes anti-depressants.  Were you depressed when they put you on them?  Or do you have a history of depression or such?  I think doctors will often prescribe anti-depressants as a precautionary measure for people with a history of depression or certain mental illnesses.

However, if you don't feel depressed and didn't before you started taking the anti-depressants, and you have no history of depression, I would certainly broach the subject of going off them with your doctor, if they're making you feel lousy.

My husband is in his 8th week of treatment and while, like GreatBird, he has been more emotional than usual, and a bit irritable at times, he is not depressed and has not gone on them.  But his health care team did offer them to him the very first instant he mentioned mood changes -- they want to bee extra-careful because some people do get very depressed on treatment, and the anti-depressants can take a while to kick in.

Good luck!
I am on week 26 and I haven't had anything.  At times I wonder if I should! Most every time I suffer with any mood problems, they pass.  It has never been constant for me, just bouts that I have been able to ride out.
I take omega 3's (fish oil),  with Dr.'s o.k. I think it helps.
Hope it goes well for you.
i'm a college student and i went through 48 weeks of treatment, it has been a sad and alone time for me.  now i'm still trying to recover 5 months post treatment.  i refused AD bc i didn't want to be hooked on it at such a young age, i want to live my own life and i trusted myself.  you have to be positive even if you don't feel like it most of the time.  treatment was a tough journey, but you just to have be hopeful and go in determined.
Did 10 months of Tx without them.  I would caution on not stopping them quickly or if you're at risk of extreme depression.

I struggled with a few bouts of extreme depression and riba-rage during my TX, but more so out of frustration I think, especially when things turned and it began to look like Tx was not going to work after 10 months trying to give it a chance after my first doc mucked up my TX in the 3rd week.

But should you need them, best to find the right one before stepping onto the TX highway as it can be tough enough to keep things straight on TX without throwing another twist into the rollercoaster.
Have heart! I have not used any, but I have been meditating, going to work, resting and generally taking care of myself. Good luck!