Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

Is interferon a form of chemo therapy?

The other question i meant to ask is whether interferon is a form of chemotherapy or not?
Thanks
Lynne
36 Responses
179856 tn?1333550962
Its a chemical therapy and sometimes we use the word chemotherapy to explain it to people who dont understand what we are going through (or we don't want to tell them exactly) but if you ask anyone who has ever done both - they will tell you no it's nothing like real chemo at all.

So don't be scared of it that way.......its no where near the same.
Some people prefer calling it chemotherapy.  I prefer calling it antiviral therapy.  I've experienced the effects of antiviral therapy myself and taken care of a family member who has undergone chemotherapy and antiviral therapy was a walk in the park compared to what they went through with chemotherapy.

Trinity
956931 tn?1271639769
Hi Lynne.

There are several websites that say "yes" Interferon IS a chemotherapy drug. But I think it refers more to the "class" of the drug as it is not at all like traditional chemotherapy for cancer patients. Methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis is a chemotherapy drug. There are many of them, and while they all have some similar side effects, some are not as harsh and everyone reacts differently to different drugs.

Hope this helps.
Pos.
I wouldn't call interferon and riba chemo therapy. interferon boosts your immune system and chemo destroys tumors and cells along with a lot of healthy cells in a person's body. From the people I have known who experienced chemo for cancer it is much more devastating to one's body.

I suppose if you use the term chemo interchangeably with chemical therapy you could say any medication is chemo.
- David

1225178 tn?1318984204
interferon boosts your immune system and chemo destroys tumors and cells along with a lot of healthy cells in a person's body

Something is attacking my RBCs, WBCs and platelets... they used to be healthy cells. Actually, since they are all made in the bone marrow, maybe it is the bone marrow thatt is being attacked. Plus... my hair roots are being attacked because my hair is falling out.

I call it a mild form of chemo therapy. Like Nygirl says, it does make it a lot easier to explain to people who have no idea what we are talking about.

Diane
The definition of chemotherapy is using drugs to treat a disease. So technically HCV treatment is chemotherapy. However, most people use the term of chemotherapy to mean treating cancer with drugs. The connotation it brings to mind is one of of harsh drugs causing severe nausea and baldness. Like nygirl, I prefer calling it anti-viral therapy as it doesn't scare new patients away. And it is not as harsh as drug tereatment for cancer.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.