Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members
137025 tn?1217768341

Is there protocol/re-tx for someone who had viral breathru at 24 weeks of Pegasy

Geno 1, taken off Pegasys at 24 weeks after viral breathru, went from 2 log drop at 12 weeks to BIG rise at 24 weeks.  Small town doc sending me to Hepatitis Clinic at U of W, am wondering what medical protocol is for next round of tx?  Biopsy in 2003 showed bridging fibrosis, 22 million viral load.  After stopping tx, ALT stayed low until year ago, now rising and have ribcage ache, BAD fatigue, etc.  Am going nuts wondering what protocol says is next, small town doc didn't want to do maintenance, says off label.  Depression under control, but WAY worried about Infergen, is it as tough as people say?  I had a hard time on Pegasys, lost 50 lbs and stopped eating, constantly sick to my stomach.  Now, ALT at 130 and thyroid T3 uptake is very low.  Any hints on what course the clinic may want me to take?  Long question, big problem, bad, bad virus.  Man, I am so sick of feeling bad.  Oh, and I am a gramma too.
Willows
22 Responses
It is heartbreaking to see a different outcome of a fellow 1a, using the same meds as I did.  Just like you, I was still detectable at wk 12, but I convinced my hepatologist to let me go longer since I was not having a horrible time with the tx, not easy, but doable. 72 wks worked for me, TG.
For some, using a different interferon the next time they treat does the trick or the same meds but longer time. The fact that you had a breakthrough, could mean that your hcv strain might not respond to interferon the way it is prescribed today.
You might want to check NM283 trials, they are accepting non responders and relapsers and some members are on it and having good results. We are waiting on a couple of them posting their post tx PCRs.
137025 tn?1217768341
I have read about NM283 and am wondering how I could connect myself and the medication?  Perhaps just by asking the clinic I am going to, the U of Washington has big time Hepatitis and Liver clinic, but I am still scared tooooo death, not knowing what is on my horizon is the worst.  I will watch for those NM283 folks and their PCR's too.  Crossing my fingers.  Thanks

Willows
A lot of people seem to be having great success with Infergen.  In fact if anything happens and I lose my clear status that is what I will be looking to do.

I am so sorry for your problem.........It totally breaks my heart for you.  Hang in there and never give up...this tx world STINKS but perhaps your liver is in much better shape than it was before!  :)
you could check clinicaltrials.gov
hey all saw my new doc today and am supposed to start a new treatment, anyone on something called pegasus along with interferon if so hows it working out, I go for ultrasound wed. endo in 2 weeks and trtmnt in about 1 month
sorry guess I shoulda read first  what a talk befor you look moment
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.