Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

Is this arthritis, or side effect of post Hep C treatment?

A year ago I finished a study for Hep C with TMC435, slowly but gradually I have been developing joint pain, with wrists, hands, and fingers hurting the most.  My knees are now beginning to hurt too, like a stabbing pain, and sometimes the hip pain can get unbearable. I have been thinking there might be a connection between the medication used in the study and the joint pain, since I met another person through MedHelp who was also participating in the study the same time I was, and she too is experiencing the exact same symptoms as I am. So far, every doctor I've seen can't seem to help, one doctor says one thing, the other says no it's something else. I have an appointment to see a rheumatologist, but I just want to know if someone out there might know something about this. The pain is affecting my sleep since it wakes me up many times during the night, and I can't even stay in bed because of the pain. Is this arthritis, or is this the side effects of post treatment?
15 Responses
Arthritis is a pretty easy diagnosis. Have you had blood work for rheumatoid factor? Xrays for osteoarthritis?
pro
766573 tn?1365170066
I was just wondering if your study included the TMC435 plus pegylated interferon and ribavirin and whether you cleared the virus.

Hope  you feel better :)
1669790 tn?1333666195
Hey there, remember you from some time ago.  Sorry to hear about the joint pain.  Hope they can help ease it some for you.  Don't have anything to offer for advice, but want to say a quick hello.
1652596 tn?1342015226
you need to tell us a little more of your history...genotype?  were you on ribavirin and/or interferon?  did you achieve SVR?  sorry to hear about your pain.  best wishes.  belle
funny that this came up but I have been having joint pain, knee's one wrist and legs not feeling just right. Some days worse than others. I was putting off to old age. LOL, but serious. I am g2 and treated with soc......was so excited when I got the SVR news at dr.s that I didnt mention it. I see him in six months if it gets worse I will call.
1711722 tn?1356491154
Hello my friend!  Sorry to hear this.  For now, see if you get relief from soaking with Epsom Salts, and putting Bengay on at night.  Advil or Aleve, if that's alowed for you.  At my post check up, my doc mentioned that my bone marrow was recovering nicely, soooo I wondered what it would mean in terms of pain, if it wasn't.  There are several other things that could cause this type of pain, so keep at it.  Not sure that arthritis would present all at once.......but the meds I was on, seem to have sped up the issues I had pre-tx.

Here's an article, but I'm guessing your studydidn't include this drug:
http://www.ehealthme.com/ds/pegasys/rheumatoid+arthritis

Also, you should contact the FDA and the drug company to let them know your experience.  If no one lets them know of the possibility that arthritis could be a side effect, nothing will be done.

Be well and go to the hospital or urgent care if you need to.
Best,
Bee :0)

Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.