Hepatitis C Community

Just about to begin...any advice?

Hi Everyone.  This is my first post.  I'm going to start the tx next month, and am a little nervous.  I'm in my early twenties, but have had the disease since birth most likely (got it from my mom).  I'm about 6 months into a new relationship, and don't really want to mess it up by getting completely depressed, sick, etc.  I'm hoping to handle this thing as well as possible.  I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on good things to do (medicine, lifestyle, etc.) when you're beginning the tx.  Also, has anyone else ever tried to maintain a vegan lifestyle while taking the pegylated interferon + ribavirin?  My doctor says I may have to go back to just being a vegetarian, but I'm hoping to stay vegan.  I'd really appreciate any feedback. It'd be good to have advice from people who know what's really going to happen.  Thanks.
Hi and welcome.  Take a multi vitamin without iron, drink lots of water, they say half your body weight in water every day. get lots of rest and try to live a normal life. Laugh a lot. You are young and will pull through just fine. Keep coming back here for support. Like mremeet says take riba with some fat. Hand full of nuts maybe. I agree with susan, Just take it one day at a time. Deal with the side effects as they come. Who knows you may not get many. And always think positive. You can beat this this!! Take Care, Debi
Hi there, I have been on the tx (treatment) for 15 of 48 weeks. I did not do my first post here till I was one month into the treatment and my sx (side effects) were kicking my ass, but I was still getting up and making to work. I found myself pacing myself on all my daily duties and I mean all. It was easier for me to do the majority of my hygiene at night due to the sx of insomnia. I scheduled my outdoor chores in the cool of the evening. Understanding co workers have made my job doable. I guess the bottom line for me is there is a trade, feel and deal with the sx for having a chance to rid my body of this harmfull disease. I'm disccovering many things here on the forum. The most valuable is knowlege arm yourself with the facts. Share with the forum your biopsy results, genotype, plan of treatment, your baseline viral load. When and IF you have any sx come here and research what others have done to cope. You can do this treatment simply by putting one foot in front of the other and do the do's and don't the don'ts.Good luck and best wishes.
good advice on forcing yourself to excersize. many of us got an overwhelming fatigue not to mention rash, irratable, headaches and brain fog(you may forget her name).
it may be hard to keep a new relationship going as many feel like we do not want to visit with anyone during tx.
what stage was your liver biopsy???did you have any affects from the hep???
good luck,hate to scare you.
bobby
I'm 29 now, but tx'd when I was 26..I was also infected by my mother.. Tried the first time and was just completely unprepared mentally for what tx entailed, and was pulled off the meds almost immediately.
My second go round was with Pegasys, and I went 48 weeks and cleared. I am now cured, by medical defintion..
Vegan, that just isn't gonna cut it. You really need to eat fatty foods with the riba for it to absorb better. Lots of memebers recommend Yogurt, or something similar. You also need lots of protein..I was told to double my protein intake, and towards the end of tx, I was tripling it just to keep my body from canabolizing anymore muscle.
Tx is very doable, as I worked almost the entirity.. I missed a total of like a week maybe of work the whole year. You need to drink tons of water, and rest when you feel your body needs it. Believe me, you'll know when to rest. Also, sunglasses are a must. Most Dr's ask for a pretx check up with a Physc... I highly recommend it.Depression is a serious thing, and I was hit hard the first go round cause basically I felt I had failed, and was now destined to die. See, I was told I had stage 3 fibrosis, and if I did nothing about it, I would be looking for a donor liver within 10yrs. It was just too much to deal with at my age.. Make sure you are VERY comfortable with your Dr, and his knowledge..If you question his abilities or knowledge now, look elsewhere.
A good Dr is the key to your success.. Take it from me, I have consulted with 4 or 5, two of which are at the top of the list.
This is your life, make decisions based on what you feel comfortable with, not just what your Dr recommends. Ask tons of questions, and do double the research.. Members here use to make fun of me cause I told them that during my initial DR visits, I took printed articles and studies in a briefcase with me to the DR, and I racked EVERYONES mind for months. I wanted to know EXACTLY what I was getting in to, and I feel that was one major factor for me successfully completing tx.
I wish you the best, and remember to ask questions..The more you know, the more comfortable you will be with this major decision.
By the way, what is your genotype, biopsy results, etc?
drinnian
Welcome
Welcome!! I am fairly new myself, working on shot 4 Thurs. All I can say is that listen to the advice here, especially about the water thing...THESE FOLKS SAVED ME!! ( 1/2 your body wieght in oz. daily) and TAKE THE PAIN MEDS 1-2 hours before your injection, and try to eat fatty stuff w/ the riba...all these things I learned here first (first post was 1 week prior to tx..thank heavens!) then asked my Dr. if it was true...ALL WAS!! He just didn't get around to telling me before these invisible friends and angels of mine...and now yours too!!! :)

Again welcome to the forum!