Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
1253246 tn?1332073310

Just curious

What would one look for on the lab results that I get every 3 months for hep c that could be an indicator for pre-diabetes or diabetes????Just curious-cindy
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
475300 tn?1312423126
I was checked for low and high blood sugar and both times were special tests, one was a 3 hour test and the other was a 5 hour test.  Empty stomach and I drank this flat coke tasting stuff (I forget how often) then they would take blood.  This was a while ago so it might have changed
Helpful - 0

Hey Cindy ..Most DR.(at least here in Canada) will run the ... "Plasma Glucose test"  then if there is a higher than normal reading on that they will run the... "Glucose tolerance test"  I believe if the reading on that one is higher than 140mg/dl you are considered pre-diabetic and higher than 200mg/dl you are diabetic.

The second test is the one GDSgirl mentioned where you drink the sweet stuff and they take blood after a few hrs.

Hope that helps

WILL
Helpful - 0
87972 tn?1322661239
Hi Cindy,

Your comprehensive metabolic panel often includes a fasting glucose test; you might check there. Typically, we like to see a result of less than 99 mg/dL. Results between 100 and 124 can be suggestive of pre-diabetes, while results above 125 mg/dL can indicate a diabetic condition. All those results are fasting; i.e. nothing but fresh water for 8 hours prior to testing.

A better diagnostic test for diabetes is the A1c test; but this won’t normally be ordered unless the health care provider feels it’s indicated.

There’s another test called ‘HOMA-IR’ as well; this is the ratio between blood serum glucose and insulin, and actually defines insulin resistance.

The test Denise mentioned is called a ‘glucose tolerance’ test.

Good luck; do what’s necessary to avoid developing diabetes if it looks like an issue; you really don’t want to deal with that if you can avoid it.

-Bill
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community

Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473358451
DC
683231 tn?1467323017
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?