LOW PLATELET COUNT

Please inform how to enhance platelet count excluding administration on Eltramopag afraid to keep a gap in therapy!!!!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Besides Eltramopag during treatment the only other thing would be a platelet transfusion which would be highly unlikely as it would be a very short term fix...... Good luck
Helpful - 0
Platelet transfusions are very temporary.  Because of hubby's ITP they had contemplated an IVIG, got it approved, but some adverse event happened (don't remember exactly what) and it never happened.  

I'm not sure what the details of your treatment are.  Its been a while, but they reduced some of his medications in order to get his hemoglobin to drop a little.  The doctor explained that there is some correlation (and above my head) between the fall in hemoglobin and the rise of platelets.  Sadly this is really only a temporary effort as it is.

He is now on Eltromapag (Promacta) to increase his platelets.  It takes approximately 2-4 weeks to become effective.  I just hope that his body levels out after he finishes the Incivek (3 more days!) and he can discontinue many of these rescue drugs he's on.
Helpful - 0
Just one of the reasons my hepa is waiting for the sopahbu???? later this year, interferon free which is what really kills your platelets. That's how I and HectorSF, maybe others found out we had Hep C. Only indication, besides pain, fatigue, etc. that finally caused docs to check my blood for Hep C. Should be a regular test, good indicator. Mine is 58 as of Friday, so with Interferon it is supposed to drop it in half, not good if you (I was) susceptible to all kinds of infections. Got MRSA a couple of time, even hospitalized last year, they still never checked me for Hep C after that one. And I got pneumonia twice in the last few years, have the pneumonia shot now, but I got a blister on my toe last week and my toe is swelling up. Better go in if it doesn't shape up in the next few days. *****.
Helpful - 0
I did not find out I had HCV til my platelets fell to 67.
I wish there was a way to bring them up.

The only thing the blood specialist told me was to refrain from taking any aspirin or ibuprofen.

He said aspirin paralyzes your platelets for a week, ibuprofen 3 days.
I know most people don't take either but you never know.  It could help
someone

I wish there was a way to raise the platelets.
Helpful - 0
Game is suppression of bone marrow in platelet synthesis by IFN need something which mask it from same action!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
Not sure this will help but I found this while looking for help for platelets.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/526932-b-12-and-your-platelet-count/
Helpful - 0
I just sent this message to a friend, decided to post it here....but it is already!

I was so stoked yesterday about being UND, I didn't realize just how much my platelets have drop. Not alarming really but a 10% drop in 6 weeks, over a 50% drop since December . Long story short, I have gone from 371 on 12/7 down to 172 on 7/10.
When should I start to become concerned, and is there any way to arrest this fall.
Thank you  
Helpful - 0
your platelet count is in obvious drastic fall, manage to check through manual count of platelet as well.........specialists said 30k is bench mark to delay the IFN dose till it surge again

Helpful - 0
MY experienced hepatologist allowed my platetes to get into the high twenties. He monitored me closely.
The main problem as I understand it is: with low platelets is the blood doesn't clot as easily, hence the recommendation to avoid so called blood thinners.
It's not like a scratch will have you bleeding to death. It's more that if you were in an accident and had internal injuries, the bleeding would be problematic.
With very low platelets, be extra careful, No horse back riding or sky diving ~ LOL.

BTW: If you have cirrhosis and an enlarged spleen, the enlarged spleen will cause a low platelet count.
Helpful - 0
My spleen is slightly enlarged according to my last ultra-sound, I will have to pull it and look at specifics, that and my liver too is enlarged as well.As I recall I also have a renal cyst.  
Helpful - 0
The truth is 172 is still good and solid,when I consider have low others have gone. As was pointed out to me, even @ a continued 10% drop per month I am still head of the game. That would bring me down to 123. And of course that too is speculation.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community