Hepatitis C Community

Lab questions

Hi everyone,  I go for my 4 weeks labs tomorrow.  Shouldn't I be scheduled for a viral load test tomorrow?   The phlebotomist said none was ordered.  Do u think this is an over site on the nurse who pput labs in to be ordered or a insurance issue??  Just wanting to know if my high viral load is decreasing.  Also, the nasty side affects seem to be resolving this last week.  Less severe headaches, muscle spasms....fatigue is still an issue, but doable..one possible side that has started recently is the inability to cope with heat, bright sunlight.  Do you think this is related to solvaldi/ RIBA use? Or something else.  Thanks in advance.  Hoping SVR. To all out there

Specifically mention in the warnings for Olysio is sun sensitivity copied here and the link

http://www.olysio.com/hcp/

Photosensitivity: Photosensitivity reactions have been observed with OLYSIOTM in combination with P/R, including serious reactions which resulted in hospitalization. Photosensitivity reactions occurred most frequently in the first 4 weeks of treatment with OLYSIOTM in combination with P/R, but can occur at any time during treatment. Photosensitivity may present as an exaggerated sunburn reaction, usually affecting areas exposed to light (typically the face, "V" area of the neck, extensor surfaces of the forearms, and dorsa of the hands). Manifestations may include burning, erythema, exudation, blistering, and edema.

Use sun protective measures and limit sun exposure during treatment with OLYSIOTM in combination with P/R. Avoid use of tanning devices during treatment with OLYSIOTM in combination with P/R. Discontinuation of OLYSIOTM should be considered if a photosensitivity reaction occurs and patients should be monitored until the reaction has resolved. If a decision is made to continue OLYSIOTM in the setting of a photosensitivity reaction, expert consultation is advised.

Use sun protective clothing, limit sun exposure and use sun screen.

Lynn
If you were non-detected at two weeks, then typically no more viral loads...if not, call and remind your doc.
On sovaldi/riba....24 weeks...have blood test every week to watch my platelets...if they go too low you can get nauseous/dizzy/off balance...which I did...doc adjusted the riba which is the culprit,...all the sovaldi does is cut lose the HCV cells from HCV stem clusters to free floaters so that they become free floating cells...then the riba is added in and it kills those free floating bad HCV cells...but the riba is just a killer drug so it doesn't really know a bad cell from a good cell so it just kills cells so sometimes the drug has to be slowed down by adjusting the dosage.  

Dependent on what stage your liver is in fatigue is normal.  I am stage 4 pre-transplant decompensated....  Monitor your activity....remember everything that enters your body has to be processed through your liver so the worse your liver is the more fatigue you will feel.  I can go about 6 hours up and then take an hour or so nap due to fatigue...sometimes I just don't have a choice...I'll just be sitting there and next thing I know I am waking up.....I've set all sorts of alarms around the house so I will wake up.  

Fatigue is a symptom not only of HCV but of HE, or Liver disease too.  It's just part of the game right now.  I have energy days and low days.  I use to be someone who worked 10 hours a day and did 20 other things all in the same day.  Now sometimes even going to the grocery store is a challenge.  

Also photosensitivity is a problem....mine started with interferon / riba and have remained.  My skin is more sensitive to sun and sometimes even in a completely dark room it is like daylight.  I use SPF 75 Banana Boat...hats, long sleeve shirts...and good sunglasses.  Other reactions have gone away for me but the fatigue and the photosensitivity have been constants.

Good luck in your treatment................
Hey Lynn thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge.  I'm curious, since I'm being treated with solvaldi / RIBA, is oylsio another name for either solvaldi or ribasphere?  If not, would ether of those also cause problems with sunlight.?  Thanks in advance
Thanks for answering.  I only had a viral load blood test prior to treatment.  From watching post,  was thinking I was up for a VL test today.  They didn't order it an according to doctors nurse, was planning on VL test at EOT.  I complained alittle an he finally ordered on for today so in a few days, I'll find out if it decreased any.  What a waiting game !!!
I'm excited for you to have made it on the transplant list.  I'm new to forum an I'm what you would call  uneducated in hep C. Issues, but I'm catching up fast.  I have been researching everything concerning diagnosis, treatment, stages of fibrosis, ect.  From what I gather, it's not easy to make it to the transplant list.  Is that true?  Anyway, my doctor didn't do any test to determine if I have fibrosis or beginning cirrhosis prior to treatment.  I'm assuming he being able to tell condition of my liver through labs..  I'm praying for all an especially you that you will become healthy again an not have this horrible disease doing harm.  Take care. Mary