Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

Liver cirrhosis and continued alcohol consumption

My husband nearly died from end stage cirrhosis five years ago.  He abstained froming drinking for about 10 months and then started drinking again.  He has also developed chronic pancreatitis.  His blood tests don't indicate that there is anything going on with his liver, but is that a good indicator or not?  What is his realistic prognosis if he continues to drink?
16 Responses
Your husband has to stop drinking.  Nothing fuels cirrhosis like alcohol.  Get him into AA.
179856 tn?1333550962
He will most likely be in end stage liver failure pretty soon if he doesn't stop.

If he had lung cancer would anyone advise him to continue smoking?

He needs a doctor and he needs a doctor fast.

Good luck.

Poster above is 100% correct - he's pouring gasoline on an open fire - unfortunately, there isn't any other outcome in the foreseen future.
163322 tn?1458680008
Sounds like someone's taking a trip down "De Nile"... or there's a death wish going on....
87972 tn?1322664839
Hi there;

My thoughts on this. I attend an HCV support group in my hometown. I met a person there that had been diagnosed with End Stage Liver Disease several years before, and the diagnosis kept him from drinking. He successfully underwent treatment for HCV, was cured, and began to drink again. 5-6 months later, I attended his funeral. This doesn
the prognosis is poor unless he quits now. you can't live without a liver.
I feel for you because I'm sure very hard to watch your husband continuing this habit!  Everyone has give some great advice so can't really add alot here except that with his situation,,I'm sure depression has set in and therefore the "what the heck" attitude,,,so starts drinking again.  I would try to talk to him because his life can be saved,,,today!  He just needs the help to get over the hump!  I would call his dr and see if maybe for right now,,,some kind of anti depressant and then see if you can get him to AA!   He needs a support group also for hepatitis,,,,and of course AA for drinking.  Suggest here,,,and many will help and talk to him and check in your town and see if you have any local support groups.  Good Luck to you!
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.