Hepatitis C Community

Liver issues

I've been diagnosed with a fatty liver since 2008 I'm 33 years old, I weigh 210 and am 6"0 tall, however I had a Fibroscan scan done at The Liver Institute at Methodist Dallas. They said I scored a 5.5 kPa. They said that was a good number and that I have no scarring or fibrosis. On the same day I went to Baylor medical center in Plano Texas and had blood work done.  My AST was 95, My ALT was 212, and my GGT was 335.  They said they have no clue what could be causing that.  My last drink of alcohol was over a week prior to all of these tests.  What do I make of this information? They are referring me to a gastroenterologist who have seen before and they said get a biopsy.
Hi you have posted your question in the hepatitis c community. Do you suspect you have hepatitis c?

Really fatty liver just by itself can cause liver irritation and a rise in ALT& AST. In fact fatty liver is an increasing health issue in the US.

The folks who said they have no clue are they liver specialists? In my non medical opinion as I am not a medical professional of any kind just a patient who was infected with hep c for many years and living with cirrhosis my thinking it is your fatty liver causing the elevated liver enzymes.

However, you will get a definitive answer from your gastroenterologist you will be seeing.

I personally don't think you need a liver biopsy your fibroscan is evidence of your lack of liver damage.

ALT and AST to not equate to liver damage it only shows something is harming your liver not the extent of damage. I have normal ALT and AST now that my hep c is cured but I still have liver cirrhosis.

My suggestion is try to get to a normal body weight check out a BMI calculator. But you best information will come from you physician.

Also you can try your question in the liver disorders community

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Liver-Disorders/show/286

good luck
HI Eric. Have you had a hepatitis panel done, as the hep viruses can cause blood work with elevations in ALT, AST, and GGT. However, there are other things that can cause these problems.Besides hepatitis and cirrhosis,  they may also be due to other conditions, such as congestive heart failure, diabetes, or pancreatitis. They may also be caused by alcohol abuse or use of drugs that are toxic to the liver. A liver biopsy would likely give you those answers. A biopsy is not only to access liver damage, but to get a diagnosis if you and your doctor feel that is necessary. Wishing you the best.
Along with fatty liver NAFLD. Eric is considered overweight with a BMI of 28.5 which is approaching obese at BMI 30.0

To achieve a normal BMI of 25.0 the most he should weigh is 184 lbs ar 6 foot tall. Above that weight increases risk of liver inflamation due to fatty liver or non alcohol fatty liver disease (NAFLD)