Hepatitis C Community

Long Term Outlook

im wondering if anyone on here has been infected for like 40-50 years and what stage/grade... i have always heard that something like only 20% infected go on to liver failure but is this data based people infected 20-30 years ago or what?  what are the stats on people infected 40 years and beyond?

im infected 28 years or so, grade 2/stage 2

please add your stats to this thread thanks!!
Before treatment I had been infected about 33 years. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed the time down pretty closely.  I had made it to early cirrhosis.  The longest infected that I've read here is Andiamo.  If I recall, he can trace his back to the '60's. Jmjm also has a pretty long history, exceeding 30 years - I think. All svr, by the way.
I was just diagnosed. As close as we can determine I've had the virus for about 40 years. I'm stage 3, grade 3 and beginning treatment in the next week.  Given that I've had it so long I could probably have simply kept on, but it would no doubt have become dangerous with 10 to 15 years. I plan to live longer than that so I've decided to seek treatment.

45 years!!!
62 next week and was 17 when misdiagnosed with Hep B with all my other friends in our circle
have had several  relapses over the many years and symptoms just got worse and worse over the past 10 years
FINALLY with a Dr. who asked all the right questions and took the time I was recently diagnosed with Hep C genotype 1b viral load 47,300,000 grade just below 2 and stage just below 1  

All other blood tests  eye exam heart eco cardiogram ekg insulin resistance thyroid and full blood work up came back normal I will begin treatment  on Pegitron and Riba the end of the year  
I was diagnosed in April of 08.  I traced my medical records back far enough to know that I had elevated liver function tests  and low WBCs ever since at least 1985...but none of my doctors ever told me.

I am pretty darn sure I got Hep C from one of two ways.  I was born in 1954 and had to have a transfusion when I was 2 days old.  That is most likely where I got the Hep C.  If it wasn't that transfusion, then the other choice is that I got it in 1974 when I worked at Mayo Clinic.  I had my wisdom teeth removed by the dentist that I worked for there.  He did not put me in the hospital but rather he did it right in his office at the Clinic and I can still remember to this day how he had to practically crawl into my mouth to get my impacted wisdom teeth to come out.  It was horrible...I think he misjudged how deeply rooted those suckers were.  Very traumatic.  The only reason I feel the wisdom teeth event could be a source of Hep C is because I don't think dental instruments were sterilized as well then as they are now.

So, I  have either had Hep C for 54 years or for 34 years.  My liver bx in May was Grade 1/Stage 1.  I started TX  on 9-5-08.  I'm genotype 1B and I was undie at week 4.
   I just SVR'd. But as far as I can tell I had the Virus for between 30 and 35 years. I was stage 3 and my GI told me I could live with Cirrhosis 15 to 20 years if i developed it.

I didn't want to take a chance. I didn't want to start feeling the problems of decompensated cirrhosis in 10 or 15 years. I am 56 and very healthy otherwise so I want to have a robust and healty retirement. I did not want to spend it sick and going to DR's all the time so I decided to treat.

In my case it was the best thing I could of done.    As far as 20% going on to Liver failure that is not neccesarily true. This is a relatively new desease as it was not discovered until 1990. They expect a lot more people to need transplants as this population ages.

Bobby
I´ve most likely got it 1971 on my second  treat now.
Did a biopsy nov 07 litle more then one month before starting this tx was grade 1 stage 0.

Dont know if i can trust that biopsy though, have had severe symptoms for more then 20 years such as extrem fatigue, stiffnes in joints and muscles, lower back pain, insomnia,  coughing fore years and more weird stuff.

ca