Hepatitis C Community

Long Term effects

I have the drugs to start the treatment in the fridge and second thoughts. I had 3 liver biopsies in 6 years and my last liver biopsy went from stage 1 to stage 2. I have no symptoms and feel great; I am 54 and wondering if HEP C would kill me or if the treatment could cause long term effects that could ruin my health. The longest living male in my family was my father 86 and had slow progressive dementia the last 10 years.
Boy, this is a question we’d all like answers to. I can tell you I successfully completed 152 weeks of treatment about 10 months ago, have cleared the virus, and am very glad I did. I’d do the treatment again in a heartbeat, but others have complained about long-term problems. Whether these problems are directly attributable to interferon is open to debate; some of them might be due to other factors.

There are currently other meds in late-phase clinical trial that will be used concurrently with interferon and ribavirin; these will hopefully be available within the next two years. They look as though they will increase treatment efficacy for genotype 1 patients from about 45% to nearly 70%, and might possibly reduce duration of treatment as well. You might discuss these with your doc; they’re known as ‘protease inhibitor’ drugs.

Best to you,

Bill
I also have meds in my fridge. I am scared of all the side effects. I am type 2. I also feel great, have probally had this for 30 yrs. It is going to be very hard to do. I asked my doc what would happen if I did not do the treatment She said probally nothing but stage 2 is so treatable why not do it. I am going to start thurs. It would be alot easier if I felt bad. I never have. I'm, going for it hoping for a cure.. another thing I worry about about giving it to someone else.

Wish me luck

Cheri
I know what you are saying, I never felt bad either and that is the bad thing about Hep C.  You go cb867, get rid of it forever:)
Im on my second round of TX and right now im in the boceprevir trial and i have no side effects....i was working full time 10 hours a day....till i lost my job..only 10% have heavy sides