A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members
145315 tn?1192241113

Marijuana and Depression

Has anyone tried marijuana to help with feelings of depression? Can it be harmful to one while on treatment. I haven't smoked in 10 years, but the way I've been feeling lately, I've been thinking about it. It use to make me laugh alot. I just finish shot 7 and I actually don't feel bad at this time, but there's tomorrow. Has anyone's face gotten smaller during treatment. Thanks All. baw
39 Responses
163322 tn?1458680008
I've heard it works to alleviate some of the symptoms, but personally, I never liked the stuff too well.  If I had, I probably wouldn't be HCV positive... :-0

Nice quake today... scared the s~~~ out of me!
154927 tn?1205246451
Yes, I use mj a little bit just to help my mood feel lighter.
A couple of tokes a day..nothing huge. But I find that it doesn't really do alot for me unless I'm doing it with somebody else (which is rare as my hubby doesn't smoke it)
Also, yes, my face has gotten smaller..and so has the rest of me for that matter. I've lost about 20 lbs since mid july while on tx. I also got my hair cut at end end of July. My customers at work tell me I look 10 years younger and ask me if I started working out. I tell them I've changed my eating habits. (If they only knew) *rolling my eyes* I've noticed this past week that my hair is starting to fall out too. Hairs on the pillow, in the sink, etc. I think this side effect is going to bother me the most.*heavy sigh*
Best of luck & wishes to you.
E
154927 tn?1205246451
One more thing. I think smoking mj magnifies the brain fog thing too. I certainly doesn't help with forgetfulness, clumsiness etc..tho it does take the edge off of stress a little bit. I'm thinking of giving up using it on a daily basis.

Maui-Glad to hear you are fine after Hawaii's earthquake!!
It must have been a very scarey event for you!

Have a good week.
E
137539 tn?1344383528
OMG I'll bet it did.  Just watching Good Morning America and seeing the pics from the shaker you all had.  Looks like if you were posting you are ok in your area.  Thank goodness.  Take care and watch for those aftershocks, they can be almost as bad. IMHO being a california native.
137539 tn?1344383528
I have considered doing the same as far as trying pot to alleviate some of the depression sides in conjunction with the wellbutrin I am already taking as it doesn't work for the crying bouts. Pot used to help there.

On another note you might want to google it as there have been some conflicting studies that are both for and against it. And then make your decision after you read both opinions. I don't have those links but I know there are others here that will.  Good Luck.
Medical marijuana users are more likely to finish hepatitis C treatment and so are more likely to be cured, according to a newly published study conducted in San Francisco and Oakland.
Other studies have shown marijuana relieves symptoms, but medical marijuana advocates said this could be the first to show improved cure rates for a life-threatening illness.

The study is by researchers at the University of California, San Francisco, and the Oakland-based Organization to Achieve Solutions in Substance Abuse (OASIS). It was published in the European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. It found marijuana users being treated for HCV three times more likely to have a "sustained virological response," meaning the virus can't be detected six months after treatment ends.

HCV treatment with ribavirin and interferon causes severe side effects, so many patients quit the long regimen too early.

Of 71 HCV patients studied, 21 finished with a sustained virological response: 12 of the 22 cannabis users and nine of the 49 nonusers.

"Modest" cannabis use may offer symptomatic and virological benefit to some patients... by helping them maintain adherence to the challenging medication regimen," the study concluded.

Rob Kampia, executive director of the Marijuana Policy Project in Washington, D.C., issued a news release touting this as "a landmark study, showing that medical marijuana can literally save lives. Every day that our government continues punishing the sick for you.

This is just some information I came across, dont think of leaping into smoking pot, do your own research and find out more on this subject, remember pot is illegal, but maybe there is a way to have it for medicinal purposes, check with your GP.
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.