Hepatitis C Community

Melatonin

Does anyone know if it's safe to take Melatonin (3 mg) nightly as a natural sleep aid?  I've been taking it for about a week & really like it, it relaxes me at bedtime, but doesn't leave me with the groggy/hangover feeling in the morning.  I've already read that some studies suggest that people with autoimmune disorders should avoid taking it, but what about garden variety Hep C?
I used to take it, and it worked better for me then it does now, guess my insomnia now can fight the toughest adversary's, ha ha! I know people who've been taking for years now, w/out any problems, but then I'm no expert....
I've taken it on occasion as well (it also really helps w/jet lag when taken at bedtime of the new time zone)...my trial doctor and nurse recommend trying Melatonin before they will prescribe sleep aids - FYI.
It's fine as long as you don't take too much. If you take too much your body will not make it's own melatonin.
I responded well to melatonin before I was diagnosed.  When I started treatment, I found many warning like the ones below and decided against it.  Just Google "melatonin warning liver".  The best advice is to check with your doctor.

Melatonin Oral Precautions
Before taking melatonin, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies.

If you have any of the following health problems, consult your doctor or pharmacist before using this product: diabetes, high blood pressure, immune system disorder, liver disease, mental/mood disorder (e.g., depression), seizure disorder (e.g., epilepsy).

This drug may make you dizzy or drowsy. Use caution while driving, using machinery, or doing any activity that requires alertness. Limit alcoholic beverages.

Liquid forms of this product may contain sugar, alcohol, or aspartame. Caution is advised if you have diabetes, alcohol dependence, liver disease, phenylketonuria (PKU), or any other condition that requires you to limit/avoid these substances in your diet. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about using this product safely.

Caution is advised when using this product in children due to a possible risk of changes in sexual development. Consult the doctor for details.

This product is not recommended for use in women who are pregnant or planning pregnancy. It may have an effect on the release of eggs (ovulation). Consult your doctor for details.

It is not known whether this product passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.

http://fdb.rxlist.com/drugs/drug-29-melatonin+oral.aspx?drugid=29&drugname=melatonin+oral

.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-melatonin.html
I take it, and generic rx too... just remember in homepathics many times less is more.  so 1 mg might just serve u better than 3mg.  good luck
I've read this too, youre much better off w/ the less you take, and it's more effective - but I don't think this is homepathy?
well what I meant was it's not a clinical rx for sleep.  I was a healthcare professional until 2005, and my sister has a health food business with irradoloigy, reflexology, and melatonin is on most health food stores.  in my mind this leans to homepathy and away from clincal standardized medicine.  are you a homeopathic professional?  would love to hear your opinions.
Lani
I have been taking 3 mg. Melatonin at bedtime for about a year and a half now. I find that it helps me to sleep. My gastro and PCP know I take it and neither of them has told me I shouldn't.
I posted this in the lanier thread and comes from
http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/HerbsCareful/0,3924,4060%7CMelatonin,00.html

Melatonin is broken down in the liver, so individuals who drink large amounts of alcoholic beverages and those with known or suspected liver diseases should avoid taking it. If liver function is diminished, high levels of melatonin could build up in the blood, possibly leading to side effects.

CS
I think we might be getting off on the wrong foot here, and it doesnt have to be that way...I guess what happens is because this is a public forum w/ info going out to everyone, we just politely correct each other if we think a fact or so is off, if you'll see, I was agreeing w/ you for the most part, just that I didn't think melatonin was a homeopathic remedy, that's all, a trivial point that I was making just for the sake of accuracy...

I've been corrected here more times then I can count, and as long as it was done politely (and it mostly always was) I'm fine w/ it, we all make mistakes, and I understand that our facts need to be as correct as possible, cause these aren't merely conversations that aren't printed and going out there...I'm sincerely sorry if I offended you....
i have also used for sleep aid and i always considered it less toxic than standard stuff? ahh to sleep,perchance to dream.....
Not at all I appreciate your comments and respect your opinions just for taking the time to write them.  I am just here from a different perspective, which is really good for us both.  I am sorry if I offended you, I am not the best at articulating anymore and "tone" is so important in written words.

Accuracy is a word I am also familiar with and working in the clinical field for many years I have a developed opinion of the lack of it in most clinical settings, from universal percautions right up the ladder.  between 44k and 98k people die each year because of hospital or medical mistakes.  The standand of health care is really sad, it seems so ridiculous to me that our government is fussing over universal healthcare, when the colleges and techincal programs are throwing heathcare workers into this profession who are not qualified to pass a standard college algebra class.  

So I guess we can agree to disagree about the melatonin link to a homeopathic care area more than a clinical one.  It is trivial.  I hope with my reading on this blog I can learn and help myself that is my goal as everyone else's must be.  I am a "clients" advocate in every since of the word, and I say if a health care professional cannot answer your questions and have the ability to develop a rapour with you, then walk away and try for another.  I live in florida and the standard of healthcare in this state is a disaster in every since of the word.  I have a limited amount of people who have been involved in my treatment who take the time to call me back and to answer my questions and not just give me the latest "flavor" the pharm-reps are pushing.  well I gone on too long, I hope you hear where I am coming from.  I am sick, and I am searching no more no less.  I am a victim of my education at this point, because I question and understand and never go blindly into the night.  Your a good girl, just from your log on you can tell that much.