Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
1732853 tn?1366758928

Mental Disorders/Interferon_Researchers were ignored.

If you are suffering with a mental disorder that you did not have before treatment, you may be interested in this article.  I'm posting the link below.  
http://psy.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/47/2/93      

christina
9 Responses
253566 tn?1219679699
Thanks
179856 tn?1333547362
Well I'm glad they put me on an AD a month prior to treatment it obviously helped alot so I guess they did learn something after all since 2004.
179856 tn?1333547362
You know what I was thinking - maybe this is sort of like an autoimmune thing where if you had any underlying condition that it gets aggravated, and that could be why the doctors always ask us if we did have any issues.  Face it I've been depressed a few times in my life I dont think it was chronic but I was honest about it and he put me on the AD and I was fine.

Would that many sense?
where do you get the "researchers were ignored" bit - is that your doing - read the conclusions in this article ( not very impressive ) - also over half of people infected with hcv suffer from mdd / mood changes / cognitive impairment etc - this is even higher in advanced stages of liver disease  
408795 tn?1324935675
Yeah it's terrible but true, some people may not be able to tx because of the interferon used.  It really messes with some people, especially patients with depression.  It would probably help to research if anything can be done about it but that may never happen.  Sad but true.
1732853 tn?1366758928
I joined this forum because I wanted learn, share, and compare experiences with other hep c people.  NOT TO DEBATE WITH YOU! .......... BACK OFF!

Different people have different experiences before, during and after treatment.
Stop harrassing everyone and be nice!

christina
This article  was done in relation to studies done many years ago .that deals with people being able to treat  and the effects it may have on them ..for the most part if being diagnosed with a SMI(severe mental illness prior to treating and the conclusions stated that for the most part ..this group could treat  with the proper management.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by "researchers ignored.".. nor do I see the flavour of the article to be that you may now have a mental disorder as a cause of treatment.specifically from INF..actually what I thought it says is that for the most part  altho INF may cause some mood changes they can mostly be prevented and well managed  and that there was no reason to not treat  thie pre -existing condition.?

As far as your last post.. when you post on a public forum...you can"t control the answers you may get  :)

Best

Will

Will
"An uncontrolled prospective study of HCV patients found that 34% of 56 patients experienced decreased cognitive functioning, which correlated with EEG changes,"

wow.  they don't tell you that one before they give you the medicine....  

plenty of anecdotal evidence on these forums to confirm it.
"An uncontrolled prospective study of HCV patients found that 34% of 56 patients experienced decreased cognitive functioning, which correlated with EEG changes,"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And this is the next paragraph to that particular article.......

Cognitive problems resolved with discontinuation of medication or treatment with antidepressant medication

Summary of IFN-Induced Cognitive Changes
Problems with cognitive functioning have been reported in patients with chronic HCV infection, but evidence of IFN-induced cognitive decline is mixed and mostly limited to small, uncontrolled studies. The best research to-date suggests that use of moderate-dose IFN to treat persons with HCV is unlikely to cause significant cognitive problems in the majority of persons who do not have a history of previous cerebral insult. Further studies of cognitive side effects of IFN treatment of HCV patients are needed.

Not that I would fully agree. ( also this was a very small study.).however if you are citing articles ..always beneficial to put the whole context.

"wow.  they don't tell you that one before they give you the medicine."...  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who didn"t tell you?  Possible cognitive issues  in some is one of the main listed side effects and it is listed on all their labeling.  Possibly you did not reasearch this ??

Best to you..
Will

Summary of IFN-Induced Cognitive Changes
Problems with cognitive functioning have been reported in patients with chronic HCV infection, but evidence of IFN-induced cognitive decline is mixed and mostly limited to small, uncontrolled studies. The best research to-date suggests that use of moderate-dose IFN to treat persons with HCV is unlikely to cause significant cognitive problems in the majority of persons who do not have a history of previous cerebral insult. Further studies of cognitive side effects of IFN treatment of HCV patients are needed.

Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community

Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473358451
DC
683231 tn?1467323017
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.