Mild Enlarged Liver?

Hello everyone,

I know I have asked this question before, but said to myself maybe I'll get different answers this time :)

In March 2014 I have been cured of Hepatitis C, so it's been about 2.6 years now. Before taking the treatment, the ultrasound showed that I have a mild enlarged liver.

However, two years after the treatment I made an ultrasound again and I found out that my liver is still enlarged measuring 19 cm! So, my question is should the liver gets into its normal size after getting cured of the hcv or this is completely normal?  

Thank you
Not enough information here to answer your question. Do you have liver cirrhosis? What does your doctor say?
No I don't have a liver cirrhosis. When I was diagnosed with HCV, I didn't do the liver biopsy to check my liver Status. Instead of the biopsy I have done the "Fibro test" and it showed that the damage of my liver was in stage 1 (Minimal). I took the treatment twice. The first time I didn't get cured.

Three years later, I took the treatment again. This time the doctor asked for an ultrasound and it showed that I have "a mild enlarged liver".

I got cured in March 2014. Two years later my primary doctor asked for an ultrasound and still showed that I have a mild enlarged liver measuring 19 cm.

I emailed my doctor about it he said as long as my liver lab tests are fine than it is not a problem. However, he didn't answer my question which is can the liver get to its normal size after getting cured, or it stays as it is? Is this something I need to monitor, or just forget about it.

I googled the matter, but couldn't find answers for my questions.  

You should ask your doctor but I think you are fine. I did find that per the Mayo clinic a normal liver is 15 cm in width. You can ask your exact specific question but I expect the answer is

Can it return to normal? Maybe over time.

Is it something you need to monitor? it sounds like your doctor has already answered no.

Is your doctor a gastroenterologist or a hepatologist?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community