Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

Moderate Alcohol Consumption

http://www.brightsurf.com/news/headlines/7201/Moderate_alcohol_consumption_enhances_the_formation_of_new_nerve_cells_-_may_contribute_to_alcohol_dependency.html

Moderate alcohol consumption enhances the formation of new nerve cells - may contribute to alcohol dependency

April 26, 2005 -  Moderate alcohol consumption over a relatively long period of time can enhance the formation of new nerve cells in the adult brain. The new cells could prove important in the development of alcohol dependency and other long-term effects of alcohol on the brain. The findings are published by Karolinska Institutet.

The study, which was carried out on mice, examined alcohol consumption corresponding to that found in normal social situations. The results show that moderate drinking enhances the formation of new cells in the adult brain. The cells survive and develop into nerve cells in the normal manner. No increase in neuronal atrophy, however, could be demonstrated.

It is generally accepted these days that new nerve cells are continually being formed in the adult brain. One suggestion is that these new neurons could be important for memory and learning. The number of new cells formed is governed by a number of factors such as stress, depression, physical activity and antidepressants.

"We believe that the increased production of new nerve cells during moderate alcohol consumption can be important for the development of alcohol addiction and other long-term effects of alcohol on the brain," says associate professor Stefan Brené.

"It is also possible that it is the ataractic effect of moderate alcohol consumption that leads to the formation of new brain cells, much in the same way as with antidepressive drugs."

The researchers are now following up these exciting findings to understand the role that the new nerve cells thus formed play in cerebral activity.

Karolinska Institutet

32 Responses
My God, not again... could this not have been posted to one of the already bizzillion threads about this same subject? Did we not start last Friday the same way?

Ya know what! "I don't care who drinks" there is no one here on this forum under 21! and if your going to so be it, I don't care.

This subject is like a mad dog chasing its own tail.

As a matter of fact I’m going out and buy a case of beer and a fifth Jack Denials get smashed and come here to night and raise all kinds of hell.

geterdone

and NO! I have not had my shot yet! lol

jasper
I agree with you 100%. mIKE
That should have read: Mike
151263 tn?1243377877
"Jack Denials?"....Whoa. I think I grew a few more nerve cells last night. *burp*
geterdone and mIKE, I'm in 100% agreement and I even said in the last alcohol thread that "its getting tired." But just in case the 'moderate drinkers' wanted to read this info - I posted it. I knew they wouldn't be interested or want to know, but JUST INCASE "someone" would want to give up their 'moderate consumption' based on this finding - I posted it. Now you and anyone else can drink and be merry because actually geterdone, I don't care who drinks either but this is the first time I read a finding such as this and found it interesting. I knew it would be received the same as if I posted it a wall at an Irish Pub, but that doesn't bother me.

Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.