Hepatitis C Community

More on vitamin D

not sure if this has been posted already but here is more on vit D. I think most people should be supplementing with 2000+ IU's per day.

Vitamin D Has Benefits in Chronic HCV Infection
Megan Brooks

Authors and Disclosures

November 5, 2009 (Boston, Massachusetts) — Supplementing pegylated interferon-alfa2b and ribavirin with a daily dose of vitamin D might increase virologic response rates, according to results of a late-breaking abstract reported here at The Liver Meeting 2009, the 60th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD).
"Vitamin D is a potent immunomodulator whose impact on virologic response rates of interferon-based treatment of chronic HCV [hepatitis C] is unknown," lead investigator Saif M. Abu-Mouch, MD, from the Department of Hepatology, Hillel Yaffe Medical Center, in Hadera, Israel, and colleagues note in their abstract.

"This preliminary study confirms the benefit of adding vitamin D to conventional antiviral therapy in patients with chronic HCV," Dr. Abu-Mouch told meeting attendees.

In the study, 58 patients with confirmed chronic HCV (genotype 1) were randomly assigned to peginterferon-alfa2b (1.5 µg/kg once weekly) plus ribavirin (1000 to 2000 mg/day). Thirty-one patients also received vitamin D (1000 to 4000 IU/day; serum level >32 ng/mL).

The vitamin D group had a higher mean body mass index (27 vs 24 kg/m2; P < .01), viral load (68% vs 58%; P  F2, 55% vs 18%; P < .001) than the group that did not receive vitamin D. Demographics, disease characteristics, ethnicity, baseline biochemical parameters, and adherence to treatment were similar in the 2 study groups.

A rapid virologic response was seen at week 4 in 44% of the vitamin D group and in 18% of the control group. At week 12, Dr. Abu-Mouch told Medscape Gastroenterology, 96% of the vitamin D group (26 of 27 patients) were HCV RNA-negative, as assessed by reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction, as was 48% of the control group (15 of 31 patients), which was a significant difference (P < .001), he said.

The combination of peginterferon and ribavirin, the standard of care for chronic HCV, achieves a sustained virologic response in 40% to 50% of naïve patients with genotype 1, the investigators explain in a meeting abstract. Vitamin D in combination with peginterferon-ribavirin "may have synergistic effects," Dr. Abu-Mouch said.

Meeting attendee Laurent Tsakiris, MD, from the Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Melun in France, who was not involved in the study, told Medscape Gastroenterology that "the study is surprising and promising because vitamin D is something very easy to use and there is no toxicity."

"It's also interesting," he said, "that the group treated with vitamin D had more severe disease than the control group. I think this can be considered a strong result from a small study.

The study did not receive commercial support. Dr. Abu-Mouch and Dr. Tsakiris have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

The Liver Meeting 2009: 60th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD): Abstract LB20. Presented November 2, 2009.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/711902
This is one vitamin that is a must.
That is great news, especially since vitamin D is so easy to get. According to an article I read in the AARP magazine, 10 minutes of exposure to sunshine gives you a day's requirements. I started making a conscious effort to get my 10 minutes and I definitely felt better that day.
as rocker said , vit D is a must !

and getting tested therefore is a must to !

bring it up to 60 , that is agreed as optimal

above 100 is toxic below 30 is deficient

simple thing to do , great for your immunity and apparently SOC response

I am up to 6000 IUs now
I have read the same thing. I haven’t quite figured out how our bodies can absorb vitamins by exposure to the sun but it does explain why we feel better when the sun comes out after a few days of gloomy weather. I always thought it was just psychological. Now I can’t get that damned song “Sunshine on My Shoulders Makes Me Happy” out of my mind.
Nice to see people are finally starting to take this Vitamin D stuff seriously.

Cheese
where do you get these figures from and what units are you using