Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Mosquito with HCV blood

What happens if you accidentally ate a mosquito which has HCV in it's stomach blood?
Meaning, the mosquito just sucked blood from HCV infected person and accidently entered someone's mouth and eaten.
Can stomach acid kill the virus during digestion process?
Very weird question but this is what happened to me when I was on a visit to India 2 days ago. India has high rate of HCV infection.
15 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
This just never ends. Not sure how much more I can take. There type of questions are pushing me away from MH.
Helpful - 0
I am laughing my *** off which is pretty good since 15 minutes ago I was crying in my husbands lap telling him I was done with the treatment (only my second week),  Man, I needed that.  thanks, Cyndi
Helpful - 0
What did the mosquito taste like?
Helpful - 0
"Man male mosquitos are the really big giant ones aren't they - they would really make you gag having that happen I am sure!"

Thanks for that girl, as for me i only eat the females.

candyman
Helpful - 0

proly  more than the poor Op wanted to know ...he ate one :)

DD...yeah I think so...nice to have some humor huh!    we are reading your studies tho....
Helpful - 0
Is this REALLY a discussion?     .......  REALLY?  

Helpful - 0
1669790 tn?1333662595
Some males are bigger than others, but I've always heard that size doesn't matter.   ahem.

Actually, the male mosquito is typically smaller than the female and their only true function in life is to inseminate the female.  His job is done after that and usually lives about 1 week once emerged.  The females are more complicated (another ahem), need a bloodmeal for egg nutrition, can lay a few batches of eggs and can live over 2 weeks once emerged.  Probably more than you wanted to know.......
Helpful - 0
179856 tn?1333547362
Man male mosquitos are the really big giant ones aren't they - they would really make you gag having that happen I am sure!
Helpful - 0
I think I read somewhere the only other living thing that can be infected with HCV is chimpanzees.....not sure why I read THAT or the importance.......
Helpful - 0
1669790 tn?1333662595
...... or a male mosquito which does not suck blood.  Only the females suck.  Just stating the  facts, not my opinion.  :o)
Helpful - 0
179856 tn?1333547362
Maybe it was just a fly or a gnat anyway.
Helpful - 0
1739637 tn?1312323410
The hydrochloric acid in your stomach would eat the mosquito up before a blood to blood transfer would occur.
Helpful - 0
Excellent advice from  flcyclist....
Helpful - 0
1669790 tn?1333662595
It isn't unusual for people to worry about mosquitoes since they can transmit over 30 diseases to humans or animals, such as yellow fever, dengue fever, eastern equine encephalitis, heartworm and malaria, the number one killer of humans is the world.  Fortunately, very few human pathogens/viruses can be transmitted by mosquitoes.  AIDS was a big concern since higher infection rates were seen in clusters in Florida where there were often high populations of mosquitoes.  But the simple answer is, there's not enough virus is available, and it can't replicate in the mosquitoes body.  The mosquito is not an efficient vector for this disease.

Following is a good article to explain and you can apply the same to HCV.  

Why Mosquitoes Cannot Transmit AIDS
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/aids.htm
Helpful - 0
Hi Sir, sorry for my bad English.

The incident happened so quick at a park while I was jogging.
Due to heavy running, my mouth was opened widely to inhale more oxygen.
The 'mossy' went in straight to mouth and I tried to spit it out but failed as it already entered deep inside the throat. I've done a lot reading at this forum but could not find any thread related to my case. As such decided to post a question.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community

Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473358451
DC
683231 tn?1467323017
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.