Mosquito with HCV blood

What happens if you accidentally ate a mosquito which has HCV in it's stomach blood?
Meaning, the mosquito just sucked blood from HCV infected person and accidently entered someone's mouth and eaten.
Can stomach acid kill the virus during digestion process?
Very weird question but this is what happened to me when I was on a visit to India 2 days ago. India has high rate of HCV infection.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
This just never ends. Not sure how much more I can take. There type of questions are pushing me away from MH.
Helpful - 0
I am laughing my *** off which is pretty good since 15 minutes ago I was crying in my husbands lap telling him I was done with the treatment (only my second week),  Man, I needed that.  thanks, Cyndi
Helpful - 0
What did the mosquito taste like?
Helpful - 0
"Man male mosquitos are the really big giant ones aren't they - they would really make you gag having that happen I am sure!"

Thanks for that girl, as for me i only eat the females.

candyman
Helpful - 0

proly  more than the poor Op wanted to know ...he ate one :)

DD...yeah I think so...nice to have some humor huh!    we are reading your studies tho....
Helpful - 0
Is this REALLY a discussion?     .......  REALLY?  

Helpful - 0
Some males are bigger than others, but I've always heard that size doesn't matter.   ahem.

Actually, the male mosquito is typically smaller than the female and their only true function in life is to inseminate the female.  His job is done after that and usually lives about 1 week once emerged.  The females are more complicated (another ahem), need a bloodmeal for egg nutrition, can lay a few batches of eggs and can live over 2 weeks once emerged.  Probably more than you wanted to know.......
Helpful - 0
Man male mosquitos are the really big giant ones aren't they - they would really make you gag having that happen I am sure!
Helpful - 0
I think I read somewhere the only other living thing that can be infected with HCV is chimpanzees.....not sure why I read THAT or the importance.......
Helpful - 0
...... or a male mosquito which does not suck blood.  Only the females suck.  Just stating the  facts, not my opinion.  :o)
Helpful - 0
Maybe it was just a fly or a gnat anyway.
Helpful - 0
The hydrochloric acid in your stomach would eat the mosquito up before a blood to blood transfer would occur.
Helpful - 0
Excellent advice from  flcyclist....
Helpful - 0
It isn't unusual for people to worry about mosquitoes since they can transmit over 30 diseases to humans or animals, such as yellow fever, dengue fever, eastern equine encephalitis, heartworm and malaria, the number one killer of humans is the world.  Fortunately, very few human pathogens/viruses can be transmitted by mosquitoes.  AIDS was a big concern since higher infection rates were seen in clusters in Florida where there were often high populations of mosquitoes.  But the simple answer is, there's not enough virus is available, and it can't replicate in the mosquitoes body.  The mosquito is not an efficient vector for this disease.

Following is a good article to explain and you can apply the same to HCV.  

Why Mosquitoes Cannot Transmit AIDS
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/aids.htm
Helpful - 0
Hi Sir, sorry for my bad English.

The incident happened so quick at a park while I was jogging.
Due to heavy running, my mouth was opened widely to inhale more oxygen.
The 'mossy' went in straight to mouth and I tried to spit it out but failed as it already entered deep inside the throat. I've done a lot reading at this forum but could not find any thread related to my case. As such decided to post a question.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community