Hepatitis C Community

Multi-Vitamin

I'd be interested in getting some recomendations for specific brands of multi-vitamins that some of you are taking.  I stopped taking my usual multi-vitamin after I got my diagnosis because of its high iron content.  I keep shopping my local stores for something better, but they all seem to be high in iron.  Also, I've heard commercials for "Liverite" (www.liverite.com).  Is this a good direction to go in?  Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Susan
Try a "Mens" formula of multivit.  And if you still can't find one, ask your friendly pharmacist.  Iron-free vitamins ARE out there.

check out puritans pride or vitamin world.  their prices are great and many of their products tested by www.consumerlabs.com.  i avoid multi level marketing as too many people have to make money off their products in spite of all their "cure" claims.
Centrum silver contains no iron and is readily available.
I get a CVS brand of Centrum silver and it is much cheaper. I would imagine most big drugstore chains have a generic brand.
ambush :)
I myself shop at Puritans Pride and find that they have great deals! You can also try Twinlabs they have good quality vitamins as well.

jamit_a
I believe I've read here that the senior vitamins do not contain iron.  correct?  How important is it to minimize the iron?  caruu
I take a children's multivitamin (doesn't have as much vitamin A in it which too much vitamin A can contribute to osteoporisis).  Saw my GIPA yesterday and she had just returned from a seminar and told me to take a multivitamin with iron and also 800 IU's of vitamin E.  She said the multivitamin I was taking was fine.  I went last night and purchased some vitamin E and began taking today.  Supposedly, these two things should contribute to keeping our numbers (blood counts) in the right range.

I'm sure you're like me and don't want to have any additional shots due to blood counts getting too low.  She also told me counts drop the most in the first 8 weeks so if I'm still okay at 8 weeks, I should make it through full treatment without additional help from Procrit or the one for WBC's.

Hope this helps.
I asked the same questions months ago and so many people here reccomended Centrum Silver. Asked my doctor about it and he said that everyone had good advise centum silver is the one he reccomends also to his patients.
<Grin>
Either you are my patient (suspected) or your GIPA went to the same conference!

Erin
GI.PA
You got it on the first guess.
hph5477: I'm slightly confused about the multivitamin you're taking. Are you taking a children's vitamin, or are you saying your GIPA (Erin) suggested you use another one, in addition to the Vitamin E.  It would be most helpful if you tell me the brand of multi-vitamin you're using.

And everyone else...thanks so much to all of you for your recommendations.  I've been so afraid to take ANYTHING since my diagnosis.  But now I'm starting to worry about NOT taking supplements.  I guess I just like to worry!

Susan
I've been taking a multi vitamin (grocery store brand), 400 IU Vitamin E, 250 mg Vitaman C and 1200 Calcium for years.  I've continued with the same since dx and starting tx.  My doc let me know today that, although my blood counts have dropped some, I'm within a range that I don't need to get another blood test for 4 weeks.  Just keep doing the Peg and riba.  I will see him in two weeks, so he can monitor my emotional state.  (I'm changing from Paxil to Effexor).  Basically, I feel like I'm plugging along and can't believe I'm coming up on shot #6 already.  Seems like not long ago at all that I was so fearful, hurt, confused, embarrassed, etc., etc.  Now I'm moving forward the best I can.  I give a lot of credit to this forum!  The advice is great.  I would not have known about Aveeno, Biotene, the mix for nose sores, water, water, water, and all the other great advice. caruu