Hepatitis C Community

My dad

My dad has recently started Incivek, and getting him to eat ANYTHING is about impossible!!! He has worked for 20 or more years to be heart healthy, since he has already had a bypass and recently he got a pace maker/defibrillator put in. Now he started this new medicine and he has to eat things WAY off his norm. He doesn't like cream cheese, nuts, or any simple little fix! We were just discussing making like a chocolate milk shake, but how big will we have to make one? Any help on this is greatly appreciated!!!
He should eat 20 grams of fat with each dose of Incivek.  There are many examples of what to eat, but here's a start.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/diet-on-incivek/show/1547942
Effects of Food on Oral Absorption
The systemic exposure (AUC) to telaprevir was increased by 237% when telaprevir was administered with a standard fat meal (containing 533 kcal and 21 g
fat) compared to when telaprevir was administered under fasting conditions. In addition, the type of meal significantly affects exposure to telaprevir.
Relative to fasting, when telaprevir was administered with a low-fat meal (249 kcal, 3.6 g fat) and a high-fat meal (928 kcal, 56 g fat), the systemic exposure
(AUC) to telaprevir was increased by approximately 117% and 330%, respectively. Doses of INCIVEK were administered within 30 minutes of completing
a meal or snack containing approximately 20 grams of fat in the Phase 3 trials. Therefore, INCIVEK should always be taken with food (not low fat).

http://pi.vrtx.com/files/uspi_telaprevir.pdf .
I was in the same boat as your father. I have not eaten high fat foods for decades, no junk food, no transfats, no fast foods, cut the skin off the chicken and removed the fat from meat, no sweets, etc. So the high fat was not easy for me to tolerate. Here are some foods I ate which have 20 grams of fat:

1 avocado
8 oz or so of Greek yogurt (NOT the low fat type)
peanut butter
butter
whipping cream
egg nog (20 grams in 1 cup)
mayonaise
olive oil
1 cup ice cream
2 oz Havarti or Chedder cheese

If I ate a regular meal I would top it off with eggnog or whipping cream or lots of butter or mayo or olive oil. Sometimes (usually morning) I ate just the Greek yogurt, a banana, and some buttered toast. I always ate something solid with the yogurt and I ate more yogurt than I had to just to be on the safe side, LOL).

If you make the shakes with ice cream (not low fat) and add some heavy whipping cream and a banana or other fruit and maybe some protein powder it would be a healthy item other than all the fat, but the fat is only for 12 weeks.

You can also add some olive oil to a pasta dish or even to sauteed fish or some other dishes. Just be sure he eats all of the olive oil.

It is not easy. I got very sick of Greek yogurt (and I love yogurt).

One thing to keep in mind is that if he does not eat he will get nauseated. It is sort of a catch 22. The meds make us a little nauseated (some more than others). However, getting hungry, even if we do not really feel hungry (but it has been a few hours since eating) also makes one nauseated. It took me a little while to figure that out. Then if I ate something, I felt better.

I also have been adding tasty items. I don't know if this would work for everyone, but it helps me. Most food has no appeal for me at this time and has no taste (I am on week 15). However, I found that if I make the regular food, like some meat and vegetables, and then pile on a few sides like, pickled beets, sweet pickles or bread and butter pickles, olives, etc. somehow it makes it more palatable. The pickles and olives really help. I also have been having some fruit with most meals (freash banana, tangerine, pear) and I have been buying frozen peas and corn to eat as vegetables. This may not work for everyone, but it sure has made the food more palatable for me.

I hope you can find some foods your dad will eat. He really needs that 20 grams of fat with each pill.
I used the chocolate milk (and I was UD at 4 weeks)
Pour one cup of WHOLE milk in a glass, add 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream and add the chocolate ( I use Nestles' Quik) Easy for me to get down and has 20g of fat
Everyone likes ice cream, heavly buttered toast, regular cheese. Yes it would be better to eat healther foods but right now just get the fat.   This fat girl has had no problems eating high fat except that 6am dose.
Many forum members have discussed ideas for the fat intake over the past months.  I posted the ideas in my journal:    
http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/333000/Incivek-Take-with-20-grams-of-fat
Advocate1955