I'm not that familiar with the NM283 trials and hopefully others will have more info here. But from what I've heard, Vertex seems to be the most promising of the newer trial drugs in the pipeline.
You might therefore ask your doctor why NM283 versus Vertex? Another question you might ask is the feasibility of waiting another year until more trial data is out. Vertex, for example, should have SVR data flowing in all throughout 2007.
Not surprisingly, doctors tend to recruit for the trials their institutions are affliated with and often receive monetary and other benefits. Nothing really wrong, this is how the system works, but to me this sometimes can cause a conflict of interest.
I'm not saying this is the case with your doctor -- and in fact he may be running Vertex trials as well but thinks NM283 is your best option -- but if I were in your shoes I'd independently research out your options including the NM283 trial, the Vertex trials, or watching and waiting for more trial data.
All the best.
I'd also like to add that if you're considering a NM283 trial -- or any trial for that matter -- ask your doctor for complete trial information. It's also a good idea to ask for any written documents, including consent documents, in advance of your decision, for you to read over.
Among the things you might want to know are: whether you'll be taking the drug by itself or in combination with Peg and/or riba; how long will treatment be; will there be a placebo arm (meaning you might just end up on peg and riba again); will they allow "helper" drugs, etc.
You are in an interesting position. If there is good news in your situation it is that (at least for trial purposes) you are geno 1 and haven't treated before. Liver condition may set some urgency. The question is if you elected not to treat in the past, because of the meds, what is different now since NM is peg/riba also - even is the doses are lower. In a similar position (except g3 relapser) I'm looking to see if there are any trials available near me. As Jim mentioned, I might be inclined to try VX950 even if it includes peg/riba,and it still does in the US. But, the results data (including svr) is still not complete. The quandry is the other PI's that are out there in trial, including and especially NM. So, (and assuming that I might qualify for trials) which is the way to go? Like you, don't know yet but trying to get any info I can. I grudgingly realize that there might not be an escape from peg/riba given my need to treat pretty soon. Not sure if you have a timeline to poop ot get off the pot. If you haven't yet done so, do a trial search on clinicaltrials.gov to see what might be available in your neighborhood.
A very big ditto to Jim's comments in C2. On the other hand, I'm wary of percentages when it comes to anything related to hcv.
I agree with Jim in that you may not want to be placed in the control group for a trial. As for VX950 and other such trials, I'm of the understanding that they do not replace current tx but rather augment them as another med to through into the anti-viral cocktail.
I'm not sure of the logic on not treating because of difficulty to treat. As a Geno 1A stage 4 with a 72,000,000 VL (which I'm told is *very* high) I figured that dragon wasn't going to die if I left him alone. So might as well tx and if SVR is not reached, at least liver gets a vacation until that magic silver bullet overnight cure pill Jim often talks about is found.
GO:"...until that magic silver bullet overnight cure pill Jim often talks about is found."
I must have been talking in my sleep cause never said that :)
What I did say is that they're some very promising drugs in trial, and in the case of Vertex, we should have some decent SVR data by the end of 2007. For those that can/choose to wait, this should be factored in.
In any event, Vertex or not, "overnight cure" is unfortunately not in the cards at present. However, what is being tested are *shorter* treatment periods -- possibly as short as 12 weeks -- using a drug like Vertex in combination with Peg and Riba. To me, a 12 week exposure to peg and riba is significantly different from a 48 or longer week exposure. In Europe, one trial arm is/will? be testing Vertex with Peg and without riba. In the future, it's possible they will test Vertex without Peg and Riba or possibly in combination with other Protease Inhibitors. At the moment lots of hope but still uncertainty as no SVR data has come in. In another year we should have a lot more info.