A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members
1930700 tn?1327068504

New Trial without the dreaded Interferon

I had a liver biopsy and was diganosed with stage 2/3.  I believe Ive had hep c for approximately 35 years.  I am now 63.  I refuse to take that horrible Interferon which in my opinion should be taken off the market for its side effects.  There is a new trial with drugs called ABT450, ABT, 267 and ABT 333.  The side affects are not as severe as the previous regimine.  

Has anyone here been on this or have any direct knowledge of the new trail.  The trial may or may not include Ribavirin.  It is for Geno Type 1 Chronic Hep. C.

nymillie
46 Responses
Millie if you could have eliminated interferon a decade ago because of the side effects it would have resulted in many many deaths.  We still do not have a stand alone therapy that has been proven to work or proven to be safe that can cure people w/ HCV.
    It is very true that it is a tough treatment.  It is true it is not 100% safe; there are risks.  I've got several friends right now that have cancer that would gladly trade the risks that we have versus the outlook for a cure which they have.  
    As is sits..... there is no cure for HIV, modern medicine can only keep trying new drugs to fight it.  One day there will be a cure for HIV; but it is not here yet.

Hepatitis C....... IS a virus for which there is a CURE. The toughest to treat genotype 1 has HAD about a 40-50% cure rate with about one year of treatment.  The NEW approved treatments bring that into the 70-80% range and i don't believe that they have been tweaked out to net us all that they can.  We are tremendously lucky to have the treatments that we do have.  
   If you were take interferon out of the current mix of therapy it would virtually cease to work.  My point is that we need this drug right now.  It isn't perfect.  It isn't easy, but without it there is virtually no cure.....today.

We are all excited about the new drugs, the new possibilities.  By the way...... the abbot trial you speak about...... I first heard about the earlier small trial 1/2 year ago.  If I was given a choice...... I'd pray for the arm with the riba.  
     A while ago I declined a Vertex quad therapy trial.  Even with 2 cutting edge PI's the arms without IFN and RBV were stopped/closed; people in the no SOC arms experienced viral breakthrough.  So...... you can see....you can understand what can happen when insufficient efficacy hits the virus; failure, or an unacceptable amount of failure.  

Yes...... the current drugs are tough and unpalatable..... but they DO cure people.

best,
Willy

374652 tn?1494815035
oh, I dont know, but I would be leary of anything without Riba..........and the interferon may be nasty, but if it works, the option is even nastier.
There are a number of trials going on with and without Ribaviron now.  If you can find out how strong or weak the drugs are that might be a good thing.  What are their resistance profiles?  I am curious as to why the Abbott trial attracted you?  It is good to know why you would pick Abbott's drugs over Pharmassets or Gilead Science?  They are not all the same. As long as you know why you selected it and feel comfortable with it, that is what matters.  But try to find as much data as possible.  
Millie I sent you a private message regarding your post.  Your messages can be accessed by going to the top right of this page.
408795 tn?1324939275
Where are you at as far as clinical trials go, did you actually go to the clinical trial site in your area or have you just been reading off the internet?  I just glanced at the trials quickly but what I gathered is some or at least one was given with interferon.  If you haven't done so already find a clinical trial site in your area and go there or at least give them a call. good luck
Abbott has had some excellent results in early  trials with their combined protease and polymerase Inhibitors,and I believe this combo has been fast tracked by the FDA.
This was a thread about early results (very encouaging,albeit small study )

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Very-early--Small-Study-but-Encouraging-Data/show/1615338?personal_page_id=1837989

Entering a  trial has many pros and cons  and always a good idea to research as much as you can before making any desicions on how or with what to treat.

Good luck..
Willl
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.