Hepatitis C Community

Newer Clinical Trials in US, Canada, Netherlands (Europe) Allowing Canabis Use

I am in need desperate need of a clinical trial in the Netherlands, US or, Canada after April 15/05, that use cannabis to relieve side effects. I will be in Amsterdam from March 17/05 until April 15/05 to get familiar with the area and set up final particulars for the treatment, if it works out, to be in that area. I had hep b in early 70s and had 3 relapses. I was tested in 1988 and there was no sign of hep b. I am white 50 years old and I have no where or no place I need to be so there is nothing that would stop me from dedicating myself to the treatment. I had tried to continue to work and was living alone, during the Rebatron treatment, and that took its toll. I made it 6 weeks out of the projected 6 month treatment regiment and had to quit. I have been single since 1978, and traveled extensively Building automation and robotics. My hep c Dr. has declared me totally disabled My Viral load count is 34 million. If you need any more info please let me know. If you are not able to help in this, search your heart and if there is another resource that could help me fight "This Dragon" please let me know.             SINCERE THANKS: Paul Hatcher              PS Telephone 704-542-6078 E-mail: ***@****     Cannabis use, in trial required
Oddly enough, I asked my Gastro yesterday about having a couple hits on a regular basis to help relax and sleep. His reply was that it will not harm the liver at all...

Magnum
I don't know about any trials, but I do know that some states are allowing prescription cannibus to be used for hep C. Even here in good old N.D., my doctor would have scripted it if I had wanted. In the pill form anyway. It is called Marinol. Hopefully someone else will come along who knows about trials. I know New Sojourn gets medical marijuana.  Joni
Is there a listing of state regulations regarding this?
It's difficult for researchers to study weed here in the U.S. because of our silly federal prohibition.The paperwork involved is huge. To start a study is almost inpossible.
hey! whatever it takes, as long as it does not harm someone else.
Is it hep b or c? I did not know there were ongoing trials for hep b and cannabis anywhere.
I am very sorry to hear that you are in need of a 4th treatment round.   And I can well understand your concerns about quality of life and state of mind while you undergo tx.   Not easy....

As for cannabis, I am a legally registered marijuana patient in the state of California.   When the above-mentioned paper was presented at the AASLD this year suggesting daily cannabis use caused acceleration of liver fibrosis, I started researching furiously.   I had decided to present information only when I had something substantial to share, which I  don't as of yet.  But I will pass on these emailed comments from the doctor who wrote me the cannabis prescription:

" I am inclined to think their hypothesis and methodology defective. From my clinical experience persons with HCV experience nothing but benefits from self-medication with cannabis on a daily basis.
I am a med marijuana user and I was a hep c victim b/I cl;d a 37yt infection in 18days and smoked everyday during and every day since.

In my diverse circle of friends, almost all hep c'ers cl'd and smoked daily.  And used no other AD's b/c the weed was the AD.  And I nevr got-or get- the munchies.  It just made food sound good and look good.

Hep c is an automatic 'qualifier', and since hep c is 'incurable', that means legal pot for life!!!hhaaa

As to Amsterdam, man its the bomb!  the only down side is how expensive it is now w/the dollar/euro ratio.  In 2003, the euro was worth 86 cents and now the euro is worth 1.38usd.  that's something they don't want you to know.

Also, the dope is dope in Amsterdam b/it too is expensive as hell.

No one is gonna study pot--that's a pipe dream.

Personally, I would do my 6mo in Oregon or Hawaii--Oregon has 'shops' like Amsterdam for med mari patients.  Just in case.  Or California--to keep usa medical care 'just in case.'

My impression of European medical care is not all that high--no pun intended.
I tried Marinol. Forget it! You get a helluva buzz the first time and it nails you like grass, but after that, it's pretty much a situation where the next pill is less effective, then following one is even less, until you do the 4th or 5th pill and it then has no effect at all, and you may as well just toss the lot out like I did. I guess there's nothing like the real thing... However, in retrospect .... If you do have a prescription, it's a good idea to keep the pills in the container so that if you get stopped on a traffic citation and they test you for grass...... You've got a prescription. Yes!

Magnum
I have found out the key to meds is Conpassion Clubs. I have 2 sources, and am in the process of checking them out. Will Up date. I now plan on relocating to the left side of the country, Up in the corner where cannabis is legal to prescribe, and this will be where I take the next treatments for hep c
I doubt anyone here needs this info, but for what its worth-

no transplant center will consider you for transplant, if you show thc in your sysstem.
(they dont care whether its legal marinol, or what)
positive for thc means no transplant