A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members
442340 tn?1326821017

On week 4 Already need PROCRIT

Hi All,

I haven't posted in a while because I have been "adjusting" to Tx.  First three weeks not bad at all (minor sides) but this last week my Hemoglobin went from 14.5-11.1 and then today dropped to 10.0.   I feel weak, dizzy, and like I'm sucking air!  So my nurse called and I have to see a hemotologist on Monday for "rescue drugs."  (Will I make it till Monday?) She also reduced my Ribavirin to 800 mg instead of 1000.  Will that affect my Tx results?  I'm only 107 pounds, so I know I probably don't need as much and I am on 180 mcg Pegasys.  

Any out there have Procrit?  Is it dangerous?  I just feel so scared of the unknown.....Any words are appreciated!  

Booo
8 Responses
353701 tn?1249584464
hi booo - i had a visit with the hemotologist today and i'm starting procrit on saturday.  i
don't speak from experience yet but from what i gathered they will test my blood prior to
administering procrit.  the only danger is if they don't keep a good eye on your blood
levels so make sure they run blood tests very frequently.  also see my thread below
titled "visit to hemotologist" to hear from the more experienced.  good luck with your
treatments and let us know how it goes.

anne
87972 tn?1322664839
Hi Booo,

Sorry to hear you’re having a rough time getting started. I don’t recall what genotype you are, but even with the reduction to 800 mg/day ribavirin, you should still be receiving 16.4 mg/kg (107 lbs/2.2 = 48.6 kg). I believe this is generally considered to be an adequate therapeutic target for all HCV genotypes.

Procrit has it’s own drawbacks and risks; there have been some rather recent black box warnings issued by the FDA regarding it’s use:

http://www.****.com/ProductAlert/Prescriptions/tb/5231

Apparently, risk associated with Procrit is offset by the benefit of successfully completing treatment. Patients occasionally feel some mild discomfort with bone pain, particularly in the hips and legs. Let your doctor know if you have a personal or family history of heart disease.

Best of luck to you—

Bill
276730 tn?1327966546
From what I hear once you take the Procrit you will start to feel better in a couple of weeks.
Feel better!
233616 tn?1312790796
at 107 your dosing was very high, and an adjustment should be in order.
I doubt you need the full dose of either drug being that small.

the procrit is an genetically engineered hormone. The one they discovered we make that is the precursor or trigger to stimulate marrow to produce new blood.
It is relatively safe IF you do not  have any contraindications and they don't overdose you on it, like they just did on the SOC.  (goggle procrit contraindications/side effects)
(not all doc use  weight based tx, but   for someone your size they sure should have....
they gave you the same dose as a 250 lb man would get.

are you treating with a GI    doc or a hepatologist?
264121 tn?1313033056
It is VERY common to need procrit in tx, and the first few weeks is when hemolysis (the loss of red blood cells) begins.  I had much worse treatment related hemolysis than you most and you won't experience the type of blood loss I did, but the majority of hepc treaters need procrit.

There is a school of thought that says it would be smart to preload with procrit before even beginning treatment.  I agree that this would probably really benefit people.  A hemaglobin of 11 really isn't bad BUT it feels really sucky to you because you are used to being up at 14.  Just take it easy and rest, and the procrit will get your blood count up there again.
264121 tn?1313033056
And you can call your doc if you want but a 10 should be fine until monday.  They don't transfuse people until they go under 8.  My lowest hemaglobin was 6.3.  
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.