Hepatitis C Community

One Shot Deal??

If a person is treating with the PI drugs and fails to get SVR.does it mean that you cant use the PI`s ever again.this is what im gathering from what ive been reading ...looks like its do or you know what....man...sometimes i wonder how i deal with all thie stuff.
I'm trying to get through this article.  At the very least, I know 'they" are working on it now...more than I ever imagined, but until then the way I understand it is that you can not re-tx with the same PI....but another one could possibly work.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2395260

Yeah, I agree....what did I do in my spare time before all this, lol!

Hope you are doing well.
That's the way I understood it as well. I think the mechanism for failing to clear with a PI is a mutation of the virus. This would render the PI that caused the mutation ineffective.

A video I saw on this subject led me to believe that the researchers have a pretty good idea of which mutations are likely depending on which PI is used based on data collected from the clinical trials.

If I were to not SVR with a PI then I would probably wait for a possible ProteaseI/Polymarease inhibitor combo such as the ones being tried in the INFORM 1 trials.

The theory is that any resistance that developes to one of the drugs would most likely   not be resistant to the other drug

Of course I could have completly misunderstood the material being presented on the video.  But it sounds good to me. :)
Yeah it's one tx per patient.  The link Izzy posted shows the mutations that telaprevir guards against.  All the PI's that are made do the same thing, but they do it differently.  They work at killing the virus, while preventing a breakthrough from taking place.  no worries, you're in the SVR car

fret