Hepatitis C Community

Open Thread for all to use

Threads are open now.  I will check back later on my earlier post about Reading and Vision.  Still feel good, and hubby is finally home for once on a Saturday, YEAH!  

Everyone enjoy the tread.

cajun
Tomorrow will be shot #3 for me.  When should I get my PCR test?   Is it right after shot 4 or later?

BB
Are you talking about a week 4 PCR? If so, you want the blood drawn on the day before your fifth injection. Alternatively, you could have the blood drawn on the day of your fifth injection but before the injection. Whatever you decide, best to have all your PCR's done on the same day and preferably with the same lab. Also, if feasible, ask your doctor for a sensitive PCR that goes down to at least 50 IU/ml. Better still is a test like Heptimax (Quest Diagnostics) that goes down to 5 IU/ml.

-- Jim
Thanks jim, I use Quest for all blood test, but will ask for the sensitive PCR.  Yhe dr. called me this morning to see how I was doing.  He also said with my anemia I will probably be on procrit the 6 months I'm on tx.

Take care,

BB
If you ask for the sensitive test at Quest, make sure you specify "Heptimax".

I say this because Quest also has an excellent sensitive qualitative test. The problem with the sensitive qualitative so early in treatment is that it just gives you a positive or negative reading, while the Heptimax will give you viral load in numbers.

All the best luck.

-- Jim
What great news.  I am a tad confused about the enlarged spleen, but I am glad she can go ahead with college and deal with the C issue later -- maybe after the meds are easier on one.
frijole
I just looked at my results before tx, from Quest:  
      HCV RNA QUANTITATIVE
         REAL TIME PC-----------318000
         HCV RNA< QUANTITATIVE
         REAL TIME PCR-------------5.50
The foot note said this test was develpeded by Quest

What do you think?

BB
No need to apologize,I get bx next Fri.The reason I can remember so good B.B.is I'm not txing yet,but who knows later when I start tx.I'm going to set up for eye exam monday so I'll possibly have the results when I go to doc on Feb. 8th.Getting ducks lined up so I can start tx in Feb. sometime.

Dyce
I'm so glad you are starting tx soon.  You will have much support here, but you alredy know this.

Let me know how you make out with results and I'm really happy you decided to tx.  

BB
Good Morning Everyone. Nineth shot last night of Pegasis and had a good night. Little joint ache but not bad. One of you had told me to keep the water going down and that has helped tremendously. Do any of you have problems with the cold weather or at least more than normal. I seem to stay chilled to the bone but I have to have cold air to breath in or I feel like I am out of air. Tonight is the dreaded Nupogen shot but maybe it will be better this week. I have to go to Nevada on business this week and I can't even think about sitting for three and one half hours in one spot. At least I can still work so that is a blessing. All of you have wonderful weekends. Dale
Have nothing to add, just wanted to let you know you said it all.  Thank you,

BB
Quest probably has at least half a dozen different PCR tests the doctor can order. Can't tell from what you posted which test that is. However, if you ask your doctor to specify the "Heptimax" test you will get their most sensitve PCR. Heptimax is a trademark of Quest Labs.

BTW is that 318,000 IU/ml for your vira load? If so, that's a very low pre-treatment viral load which is very good, and some believe a positive predictor for successful treatment.

-- Jim
Boy am I sorry I opened this thread.  You know one day I am thanked for it and the next I am spat at for it. Go Figure.  When I opened the site I did have a question just not the main topic.  I had no clue it would cause this.

I will say this I will not bring my positive energy to a negative state; so my friends I bid farewell for now.

Try not to chew each other up to bad today.

And again sorry for the open thread; and yes I guess I understand about the topic thing and I will be considerate from now on. Peace / Love

cajun