Hepatitis C Community

PS 200mg Riba

I am also on 200mg of Riba and have noticed some in the States are 600...once again such huge differences! See previous question please.
Wow! only 200 Riba per day?
I started by taking 1200 per day and due to low platelets (60)
I was cut down to 1000 per day.
I am Geno 1-A, grade 2-3/4, Stage 1-2/4
Hi, what are your stats?  That is really low for riba.  Where do you live?

Beagle
I am on 1200 per day and most here take a similar dose. Seems very low but I am a patient not a doctor. I am a 1A with similar stats to your own. Platelets being low have been a problem but I understand the Pegasys is the culprit in lowering platelets, again please remember I don't know if the doctor told me that or someone here. My platelets bounce around between 40 and 70 right now. I only have a half a bottle of Riba left so I'll be glad when they disappear. I would like to know why your doctor lowered it so far though. Dale
I'm also on 1200 mg of riba a day. My pills are 200 mgs each so I take 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening. Please double check your dosage.
I'm currently on 1400 mg per day.

I started on 1200, was cut to 600 when first doc failed to prescribe Procrit for anemia, and worked my way back up to current 1400 mg per day by adjusting Procrit dosage along the way to combat the chemically induced anemia of Ribavirin.

I've been at the 1400 mg per day dosage for 9 wks straight now, and hopefully longer.

During the time my Riba was reduced, I did experience a significant viral breakthrough when VL went from 1,800,000 at wk 12 to 2,900,000 at wk 24.  It was explained that the increase was most likely due to the reduced Riba not being able to stop the viral replication occurring as Peg-IFN was killing the virus.

There are studies which identify the proper dosing of Ribavirin, and recent ones which recommend weight-based dosing for it.
Oh hell I took it for granted that everyone was on 5 tabs a day? So I take 1000 mg a day must have miss read someone's comment about 600mg tabs? I am in the UK and being treated like mushroom by my nurse specialist....kept in the dark and fed on sh..! Have seen Dr twice in 4 months once! Thats how they do it here.

I have met one other in London on prog and he was treated the same way! My nurse says it is hosp policy not to give out blood results! I will demand them next time I see her after reading all your postings in the US!!

What do people do in the US if they have no insurance? In the UK we have the NHS which is a gov free health care system payed for with the taxes.