Hepatitis C Community

Phosphoric acid in colas and beverage is toxic

I've been on this bandwagon for 30 years, every since attending an Orthopedic lecture in which the bones of children were too porous to heal or be set, or hold in screws even.

the truth is a lot of the nervousness and depression people experience with this disease and the treatment is not just due to low seretonin, it is due to the tremendous amount of calcium being lost each day.

Phosphoric acid is the culprit. Present in every cola product and many non cola's such as Dr. Pepper, Mt. Dew etc.
This acid is manmade occuring nowhere in nature.
It is so caustic the stomach dumps at least a gram of calcium into the stomach mix for every cola we drink in an attempt to neutralize this acid.
The only reason it is added...it to improve the taste...it's the pep, in pepsi...the little bite some people like.
Regular use of colas lowers blood and bone calcium levels signifigantly,
as I said, the main cause children's bone (usually the strongest) could not be set is they were too spongy from adults letting them drink several pops a day.

Switching to Hansen's products or reading labels and finding the products that don't contain this additive (like 7-up) will greatly improve your health.  You may however want to know that many of the artificial flavors are toxic to the liver....and many are actually derivatives of creosote, if you know what that is.

ok...go ahead, tell me it can't be true  : )))))))))

mb
Very interesting! Thanks for posting this info.

Thank God I have never been much into soft drinks. When I was young it was something one would have occasionally at an outing. At birthday parties we would get hot chocolate with whipped cream in the winter or natural fruit juices. It was the same at my friends houses. Each time I was pregnant and breast feeding I would totally abstain from all kinds of soft drinks. This was totally instinctive. After a while I lost total interest in soft drinks and might have a few sips of a coke once a year or so.

I kind of carried on the tradition with my own kids. They would get a large bottle of soft drinks to share only now and then on a weekend, that's all. They until now prefer to buy fruit juices instead of soft drinks. They all love drinking water most.

I'm glad that acting upon my instinct obviously was the correct thing to do. Just looking at the stuff, you can tell that it is so unnatural, that it just can't be good.
Years ago, I was told if you pour cola over your car battery terminals, it'll eat away the corrosion. We weren't allowed cola products as kids...at home anyways.
well your instincts are right on, but you have to read the fine print even on juices these days.

a study done at Rutgers shows High fructose corn syrup (added to half the juides out there) is a leading contributor to diebetes.
Isn't that just like the food industry, make things super sweet so kids will krave their product....

HFCS is a sweetener found in many foods and beverages, including non-diet soda pop, baked goods, and condiments. It is has become the sweetener of choice for many food manufacturers because it is considered more economical, sweeter and more easy to blend into beverages than table sugar. Some researchers have suggested that high-fructose corn syrup may contribute to an increased risk of diabetes as well as obesity, a claim which the food industry disputes. Until now, little laboratory evidence has been available on the topic.

In the current study, Chi-Tang Ho, Ph.D., conducted chemical tests among 11 different carbonated soft drinks containing HFCS. He found 'astonishingly high' levels of reactive carbonyls in those beverages. These undesirable and highly-reactive compounds associated with "unbound" fructose and glucose molecules are believed to cause tissue damage, says Ho, a professor of food science at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, N.J. By contrast, reactive carbonyls are not present in table sugar, whose fructose and glucose components are "bound" and chemically stable, the researcher notes.

Reactive carbonyls also are elevated in the blood of individuals with diabetes and linked to the complications of that disease. Based on the study data, Ho estimates that a single can of soda contains about five times the concentration of reactive carbonyls than the concentration found in the blood of an adult person with diabetes.

Ho and his associates also found that adding tea components to drinks containing HFCS may help lower the levels of reactive carbonyls. The scientists found that adding epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), a compound in tea, significantly reduced the levels of reactive carbonyl species in a dose-dependent manner when added to the carbonated soft drinks studied. In some cases, the levels of reactive carbonyls were reduced by half, the researchers say.

"People consume too much high-fructose corn syrup in this country," says Ho. "It's in way too many food and drink products and there's growing evidence that it's bad for you." The tea-derived supplement provides a promising way to counter its potentially toxic effects, especially in children who consume a lot of carbonated beverages, he says.

But eliminating or reducing consumption of HFCS is preferable, the researchers note. They are currently exploring the chemical mechanisms by which tea appears to neutralize the reactivity of the syrup.Ho's group is also probing the mechanisms by which carbonation increases the amount of reactive carbonyls formed in sodas containing HFCS. They note that non-carbonated fruit juices containing HFCS have one-third the amount of reactive carbonyl species found in carbonated sodas with HFCS, while non-carbonated tea beverages containing high-fructose corn syrup, which already contain EGCG, have only about one-sixth the levels of carbonyls found in regular soda.

In the future, food and drink manufacturers could reduce concerns about HFCS by adding more EGCG, using less HFCS, or replacing the syrup with alternatives such as regular table sugar, Ho and his associates say. Funding for this study was provided by the Center for Advanced Food Technology of Rutgers University. Other researchers involved in the study include Chih-Yu Lo, Ph.D.; Shiming Li, Ph.D.; Di Tan, Ph.D.; and Yu Wang, a doctoral student.

This research was reported August 23 at the 234th national meeting of the American Chemical Society, during the symposium, "Food Bioactives and Nutraceuticals: Production, Chemistry, Analysis and Health Effects: Health Effects."
You will get some flack from this post...someone will come along and say you are paranoid and dont belive what you read....dont get me wrong...im a health freak...not nut....im afradi to post on health topics here now..too much negatvity for me
And to add insult ti injury...commericial soft drinks are made with tap water....which i think is the most vial toxic substance on the planet
Everything is toxic in large quantities including water. If you drink to much water you can have what is known as water intoxication. People die from this. So to say phosphoric acid is dangerous would depend on how much you were really talking about. In small quantities I believe it is not harmful. Phosphoric acid occurs naturally in some foods as chemical reactions occur when foods are processed. I am a homebrewer and know for a fact that if I heat barley malt to 130 degrees it will produce phosphoric acid. Most phosphoric acid is produced from phosphoric rock and sulfuric acid. here is some info I found for uses

Phosphoric acid is used primarily in the manufacture of fertilizers, detergents, and pharmaceuticals. In the steel industry, it is used to clean and rust-proof the product. It is also used as a flavoring agent in carbonated beverages (read the ingredients list on a can of Coca-Cola), beer, jams, jellies and cheeses. In foods, phosphoric acid provides a tart, acidic flavor. A recent study reported in the journal Epidemiology (Vol 18, pp 501–506, July 2007), found that drinking two or more cola beverages per day doubled the risk of chronic kidney disease. Cola beverages have been associated with kidney changes that promote kidney stones, which may be a result of the phosphoric acid in colas.

My advise is moderation for everything.