A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members
26471 tn?1211940121

Possible Action Of Ribavirin

This is fairly new information.  As we know, the efficacy of IFN is dependent on the phosphorylation of PKR.  I have always thought - hey, since we're bypassing our own endogenous IFN with injected IFN, why not upregulate PKR?  This is part of ribavirin's job.  Well, now that we know what it does, first order is to find something different that can do the same thing.

Apparently, in SOC therapy, your own body's IFN does little or nothing to help, but the whole system is bypassed altogether.

Of note:

It was once thought that IFN-generated quasispecies contributed to nonresponse.  Now it seems that IFN-resistant quasispecies in genotype 1b are already in place before treatment begins.  The mutation is accomplished by the virus switching amino acids.  Genotype 1a responders have a lower variability of pre-treatment quasispecies than nonresponders.
17 Responses
so if the quasi-species may already be in place, is that a separate issue  from other ones developing during tx? Are we then possibly faced with both scenarios affecting SVR?
26471 tn?1211940121
Actually, I read a transcript of Dr. Schiffman testifying before the FDA about Pegasys.  He stated that peginterferon does not create IFN-resistant quasispecies.  Apparently, these factors are already in place before we even begin tx, especially in geno 1b.  There are two 1b amino acid switches that may be predictors of nonresponse, and may be the reason why 1b is a little tougher to clear.
388154 tn?1306365291
I´m positiv I heard 1a is a little bit tuffer to treat.
Think we have discussed this before here at the forum, some said as you 1b and others 1a and there were studys presented dont have them but if someone have please chime in on this one.

ca
Hey Mk, Nice to see you hear. Very interesting posts. Thanks for posting them.

comeagian: I have always read that 1b is harder to treat then 1a
26471 tn?1211940121
Hey copyman, great to see you, too.  Thanks for the hello.

comeagain: geno 1b nonresponders, or a majority of 1bs, are often the first group to be enrolled in clinical trials, because 1b is the slightly worse of the two, perhaps partly because it tends to inflict more damage to the mitochondria of liver cells.  Also, nonresponse can be predicted in 1b patients who carry either of two specific switches of amino acids.

Miles
26471 tn?1211940121
And of course, I posted the exact same thing twice.  As usual, my brain is dysfunctional.  Excuse the repeat.

Miles
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.