Aa
A
A
A
Close
Hepatitis C Community
13.4k Members

Problems with insomnia and pain

My husband has Hep C and I am trying to act as his advocate.  He continually complains of joint pain, right upper quadrant pain and sleeps no more than 2 hours per night.  We have spoken to our Primary care Physician and G.I. Doctor.  He was prescribed Ambien, and it helped for several nights, but is now not working.
We are still in the staging portion of diagnosis.  He also has iron overload, and there has been mention of a theraputic phlebotomy.  His fatigue has him in his chair most of the day.  He is unable to work and we are looking into disability.  I am in need of some information on medications to help his pain and sleeplessness.  He has been told no advil or asprin but may take 1 350 mg. tylenol every 4 hours.  This isn't helping, and I am concerned about his quality of life.  We mentioned this to Doctors, but they don't seem to get it!  Any suggestions?
28 Responses
What kind of food does he eat? Red meat caused me a lot of liver pain. Also dairy except for yogurt.
Google "Liver Friendly Diet", changing my eating habits helped me a lot with the pain.
I take Vicoden for joint and headache pain. It is the only pain reliever that helps my pre tx joint pain and tx headaches.I take Ambien for sleep.maybe you could ask you doctor about raising the dose of your meds.some times  a pill more makes the difference.I had simular symptoms pre-tx Good luck
I take Vicoden for joint and headache pain. It is the only pain reliever that helps my pre tx joint pain and tx headaches.I take Ambien for sleep.maybe you could ask you doctor about raising the dose of your meds.some times  a pill more makes the difference.I had simular symptoms pre-tx Good luck
Depression is often associated with insomnia, is your husband depressed? I know my husband was depressed by the fatigue, inability to work and just plain sick of being sick. Zoloft and Paxil are a couple of the meds I've seen people here taking. For joint pain he should be able to take Ibuprophen which is what I've seen recommended by doctors on several HCV related websites.

I imagine that the stress of this disease could cause anyone some bouts of insomnia, I had it and I wasn't even the one with HCV, but seriously consider some anti-depressants, it could very well help restore to him his much needed sleep.

Best of luck to you and yours,
Debbe
Sleeplessness is the worst and I have to work full time so I cannot afford not to sleep.  I alternate between Ambien (it does not work if I take it nightly), Tylenol PM (it makes me feel very tired the next day but if your husband isn't working that might not be a problem for him).  My doc prescribed Trazadone, it's an older antidepressant that is used also used for sleeping. I feel tired in the a.m. upon waking but once I shower, etc. I'm better.  

I have some arthritis in my neck and some disc degeneration and I take Mobic for the inflamation which helps the joint pain.  It works like Vioxx and Celebrex but hasn't been taken off the market so far.

Good luck.  

-cbee
I had the same problem with ambian. It didn't take much to make me fall asleep but if I took it every night it did not last too long. One thing I did was break the ambian in half and take the second half when I woke up in the night. This worked well since it didn't take much to make me fall asleep. He might just try that. LL
Have an Answer?
Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473362051
DC
683231 tn?1467326617
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.