Hepatitis C Community

Problems with insomnia and pain

My husband has Hep C and I am trying to act as his advocate.  He continually complains of joint pain, right upper quadrant pain and sleeps no more than 2 hours per night.  We have spoken to our Primary care Physician and G.I. Doctor.  He was prescribed Ambien, and it helped for several nights, but is now not working.
We are still in the staging portion of diagnosis.  He also has iron overload, and there has been mention of a theraputic phlebotomy.  His fatigue has him in his chair most of the day.  He is unable to work and we are looking into disability.  I am in need of some information on medications to help his pain and sleeplessness.  He has been told no advil or asprin but may take 1 350 mg. tylenol every 4 hours.  This isn't helping, and I am concerned about his quality of life.  We mentioned this to Doctors, but they don't seem to get it!  Any suggestions?
What kind of food does he eat? Red meat caused me a lot of liver pain. Also dairy except for yogurt.
Google "Liver Friendly Diet", changing my eating habits helped me a lot with the pain.
I take Vicoden for joint and headache pain. It is the only pain reliever that helps my pre tx joint pain and tx headaches.I take Ambien for sleep.maybe you could ask you doctor about raising the dose of your meds.some times  a pill more makes the difference.I had simular symptoms pre-tx Good luck
Depression is often associated with insomnia, is your husband depressed? I know my husband was depressed by the fatigue, inability to work and just plain sick of being sick. Zoloft and Paxil are a couple of the meds I've seen people here taking. For joint pain he should be able to take Ibuprophen which is what I've seen recommended by doctors on several HCV related websites.

I imagine that the stress of this disease could cause anyone some bouts of insomnia, I had it and I wasn't even the one with HCV, but seriously consider some anti-depressants, it could very well help restore to him his much needed sleep.

Best of luck to you and yours,
Debbe
Sleeplessness is the worst and I have to work full time so I cannot afford not to sleep.  I alternate between Ambien (it does not work if I take it nightly), Tylenol PM (it makes me feel very tired the next day but if your husband isn't working that might not be a problem for him).  My doc prescribed Trazadone, it's an older antidepressant that is used also used for sleeping. I feel tired in the a.m. upon waking but once I shower, etc. I'm better.  

I have some arthritis in my neck and some disc degeneration and I take Mobic for the inflamation which helps the joint pain.  It works like Vioxx and Celebrex but hasn't been taken off the market so far.

Good luck.  

-cbee
I had the same problem with ambian. It didn't take much to make me fall asleep but if I took it every night it did not last too long. One thing I did was break the ambian in half and take the second half when I woke up in the night. This worked well since it didn't take much to make me fall asleep. He might just try that. LL